Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sudden slow download speed

My iMac download speed has slowed down to less than 5mb/s. This started suddenly about a week ago, after functioning fine for years, and has increased in severity over the week i.e. from noticeable slowing to almost a dead-halt (blank screen when trying to open emails/download attachments). I don't know if this is relevant but about the time it started, there's a console message showing this: Safari [140]<Error>kCGErrorIllegalArgument:CGSFlusingWindowContentRegion:Invalid window Seems this started at 00:00:00 a.m. and repeated about a squillion times for 9 hours, followed by batches of other multiple-repeated messages, including the same as above but with Safari[144] in place of the 140 code.

Meanwhile another imac, ipad mini and pc are running normally off the same system, with Virgin as ISP connecting through a mac wireless router. I've tried switching off and restarting the system as well as the iMac.

Online support from Apple helped me clear the cached stuff, and it seemed much sprightlier but then after some internet/yahoo use it slowed again. I took it to a mac store where the location was reset and it tested at 25 mb/s, but then back home after logging in to yahoo it has returned to <5. Could yahoo be doing something specific? And why do none of these factors - the ISP, router, programmes accessed online - affect the functioning of the other devices operating under the same conditions? Any ideas?

iMac, OSX 10.6.8

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 3:10 PM

19 replies

Jan 17, 2014 12:59 AM in response to SeaPapp

Thanks Mike Sombrio - the Apple online support took me through resetting Safari, as well as clearing caches, and that made a big difference at first, but then the slowdown started again. It's still way better than it was at its worst, but still have download speeds of <5 and Yahoo calendar won't open.

I haven't tried another browser as I'd like to try resolving this before trying alternatives but will if no alternative.

Jan 17, 2014 4:16 AM in response to SeaPapp

Hi Jimmymac112, as mentioned above, before trying alternatives I want to try getting at the glitsch in in my system in case it comes back. Thing is, I'm relocating soon and don't want to take the problem with me.

But if necessary, Namebench looks a good way to go as an alternative strategy but some mention online of Google starting and stopping in 2010 - has it been updated?

Jan 17, 2014 2:04 PM in response to seventy one

Be careful of Softonic. It has connections with some virus finders which are of no use whatsoever with a Mac.

More important than that is the fact that Softonic is currently injecting the InstallMac adware into many installers downloaded through their site. See:

Continue to boycott Softonic

Blindseer: if you've been installing stuff from Softonic, that could explain your difficulties with Safari. This adware has been known to cause browser crashes and other issues. See if you have any of the adware described in my Adware Removal Guide installed, and if so, follow the instructions to remove it.

Jan 19, 2014 12:28 PM in response to SeaPapp

Mike Sombrio, many thanks - I have

1. tried Firefox (no change) and

2. tried to create a new location as you suggest, following online guide at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5289. I didn't get there exactly, am still functioning on my default location, but in the process it seems to have corrected itself. I called Virgin for required info - going through an elimination process with connections (modem>router>computer) confirmed that I'm getting good speeds when all 3 are linked and in close physical proximity, then once back in its normal position (upstairs) it went back to being slow (< 5 Mbps). But today it's much happier hitting up to 20 so something's happened and I'm hoping it's permanent. The amount of time it's taken me to get even this far (you can see I'm a novice) means I'll happily stick with that, but return to your guidance if it lapses.

So many thanks, great to get help on my first foray onto Apple Support.

One last question - the machine feels pretty hot. What is your opinion of Temperature Monitor widget?

sudden slow download speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.