Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not working correctly in Leopard

Hi. Just upgraded from 10.4.11 to 10.5.8 on my PPC G5. Some problems have arisen during the course of the upgrade, all of which I've been able to resolve except this last one (hope it's the last). All my apps are running smoothly and the system is nice and snappy.

A problem has come up with Finder all of a sudden. I can use it but when I enter something in the search window, all my view options disappear and I get a message saying "there are no view options for the "Searching "drive name"" window. The results of my search will display but there are no little black arrows before the folders in list view and column view is dimmed and inaccessible. The only way I can see what's in the folder is to dbl-click it. If I clear the search window, everything returns to normal but then I'm in another window. I tried Repairing Disk Permissions and trashing "com.apple.finder.plist" and com.apple.sidebarlists.plist" but no change. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 8:46 PM

Sorry, guess I should have done more research before I posted my query. Apparently this is the way Finder works in Leopard. Can't imagine why the change was made. Seemed quicker and more functional in Tiger. Maybe I need to get used to it.

3 replies

Jan 17, 2014 10:55 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks. I don't use Spotlight either but I do search in Finder and actually, when I went back into Tiger I noticed that after entering anything in Finder's search window, the little black arrows disappear from in front of the folders under that OS too. The Finder feature that I really miss from Tiger is that after a search is run, contents display in groups according to the "any" category (folders, documents, applications, etc.) and you can twirl the arrow on those groups to close up or display their contents which I found very convenient.

Finder not working correctly in Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.