Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Neither my iPad 2 nor my iPad mini will sync. "The iPad " " cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-50)

Nothing syncs! Unable to sync for over a week, since the new year on my iPad mini. So frustrated I about to throw them all out.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 11:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2017 1:18 PM

Tracey289, you were right on! I changed the slots on my iMac for my iPod and the synch worked. I would like to ask why the problem in the first place but that may well be far above my head and pay grade.

Namaste

13 replies

Jan 17, 2014 12:22 AM in response to toddfrommatsudo

The syncing issue is a byproduct of the downloaded apps updating issue. The result is a timeout. I would follow this excerpt of the instructions:

1) Close iTunes,

2)

Delete your iTunes Downloads folder, located in:

Mac OS X:
 ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Downloads

Note: "iTunes Media" may appear as "iTunes Music. Also, the tilde (~) refers to your Home directory.

3) Upon deleting the folder, reboot your machine and attempt to sync again.

Jan 17, 2014 7:10 AM in response to nbar

Reread your post and saw that you did mean form the Mac not the iPads.

However, did as you suggessted and was only partially successful. First the iTunes Download folder was empty before deleting it. My podcasts updated to my iPad mini but iBooks did not. It seems that nothing changed on my iPad 2. However, that error message no longer appears.

Feb 10, 2014 2:56 AM in response to rmcl1

I too have this error message (-50) on iphone 5s, iphone 4s & ipad 3 - when i try to sync on both my macbook pro and a windows 7 pc. it is only photos that will not sync - everything else is fine. It has been going on for about 3 weeks now and i have tried as many troubleshoots as i can find and still nothing works. Seems a lot of people are having problems with sync at the moment and Apple need to find a solution.

Feb 11, 2014 4:46 PM in response to toddfrommatsudo

I have also "lost" many collections in iBooks upon updating the iOs. The place they once were is blank and clicking on the blank space has no effect. I also can no longer add new collections, or they become empty/blank collections, I can't tell.

IPad mini won't sync, yet somehow a whole genre of music and all its files have disappeared from iTunes an this device.

Three of the five functions I most need have not worked at all since the update. ITunes deleting audio-files I need for class, iBooks hiding collections and thereby becoming useless by denying access to pdfs I use for class and no new podcasts because I can't sync.

How does one contact Apple directly to fix these problems?

Neither my iPad 2 nor my iPad mini will sync. "The iPad " " cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-50)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.