Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to uninstall Bing?

It really irks me because Bing automatically became my search engine when I downloaded an application! >_<

When im searching in Safari and GoogleChrome, Bing is the search engine!

SO how can I remove it?

Please answer! xxx

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 1:17 AM

12 replies

Jan 17, 2014 1:50 PM in response to imfallintopieces

You installed the "Genieo" scam product. There is an uninstaller, but as the developer is not trustworthy, you shouldn't rely on it. I suggest the tedious procedure below to disable Genieo.

Back up all data. You must know how to restore from a backup even if the system becomes unbootable. If you don't know that, stop here and ask for guidance.

Quit the Genieo application, if it's running. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/etc/launchd.conf

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.

If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder may open with a file selected, or the file may be absent, in which case you'll get a message that it doesn't exist. If it does exist, it's a configuration file created or replaced by the Genieo installer. Any software installer that does this should be considered ipso facto malware. Move the file to the Trash. You'll be prompted for your administrator password.

IMPORTANT: If the launchd.conf file exists, you must move it to the Trash it before continuing. Otherwise the systemwill become unbootable. In that case, restore from your backup and start over. That's how badly Genieo has sabotaged your system.

Repeat with each of these lines:

/Applications/Genieo.app
/Applications/Uninstall Genieo.app
/Library/Frameworks/GenieoExtra.framework
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieo.engine.plist
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client.plist
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client
/usr/lib/libgenkit.dylib
/usr/lib/libimckit.dylib
/usr/lib/libimckitsa.dylib

Again, some of these items may be absent, in which case you'll get a message that the file doesn't exist. Skip that item and go on to the next one.

Reboot. Your web browsers should now function normally, and you should be able to reset the home page and search engine. If not, stop here and post your results.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences Extensions

Uninstall any extensions you don't know you need, including one called "Spigot" if it's present. If in doubt, uninstall all extensions. Do the equivalent for the Firefox and Chrome browsers, if you use either of those.

The Genieo installer may also install the "Silverlight" web plugin from Microsoft. If you have no use for that plugin, you should remove it according to Microsoft's instructions. Don't remove it if you subscribe to "Netflix."

This procedure may leave a few files behind, but it should deactivate Genieo. Make sure you don't repeat the mistake that led you to install it. Chances are you got it from one of the Internet's open sewers such as "Softonic" or "CNET Download." Never visit either of those sites again.

Finally, be forewarned that when Genieo is mentioned on this site, the developer sometimes shows up under the name "Genieo support." If that happens, don't believe anything he says, but feel free to tell him what you think of his scam.

Feb 10, 2014 6:26 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your help, that's very useful.

I've been remove

/Applications/Genieo.app

/Applications/Uninstall Genieo.app

/Library/Frameworks/GenieoExtra.framework

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieo.engine.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client.plist

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.

Then google search engine is back!

Apr 26, 2014 12:01 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hello

I am in Google search bar on my Safari browser H*** as well with it still showing Google while typing but switching to Bing upon "enter". This started a couple days ago with needing to update my Microsoft Silverlight application. I need the Silverlight. I do not see Genieo anywhere in my applications. Only the Microsoft Silverlight.

Is my proceedure to get rid of this Bing search bleep different than above?

Please and thanks!

Jul 7, 2014 6:28 AM in response to melissathegood

Those instructions are for a Windows-only solution. Further, the symptoms described on this topic are typically associated with Genieo, not Conduit.

I see that you have posted a question on another topic asking how to solve the problem of being infected with the "Trovi virus." I find it puzzling - suspicious, even - that you have, less than 5 minutes later, also posted a link to this solution which could not possibly have worked for you, on a topic that has been inactive for several months.

????!

Jul 7, 2014 6:39 PM in response to thomas_r.

Obviously I posted in haste assuming they were dealing with the same problem as me and missed that this was for a macbook air. The reason I posted the solution to the problem was BECAUSE I found the solution there that worked for me after almost an hour of frustration. If you google Trovi virus you will, in fact, find that it is associated with Conduit.

Sep 26, 2015 11:22 PM in response to ronfab1

I have exactly the same problem: I start searching in Google, and Bing takes over. Yesterday I downloaded Smilebox in order to open one of my very old albums - I guess Bing came with the that download. I cannot find a trace of Bing in any of my folders, or genieo for that matter, or any other associated with it names... Mystery, and I hate Bing! My blood boils when it pops up!

Sep 27, 2015 6:31 AM in response to SolarBeenleigh

Don't use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product on a Mac. There is never a need for it, and relying on it for protection makes you more vulnerable to attack, not less.

You may have installed one or more variants of the "InstallMac" trojan. Take the steps below to disable it.

The criminal behind this attack tries to make the malware hard to remove by varying the names of the files it installs. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

Back up all data before continuing.

1. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder named "LaunchAgents" will open.

2. Inside the folder you just opened, there may files with a name of the form

something.download.plist

something.ltvbit.plist

something.update.plist

where something is usually a meaningless string, such as any of the following:

InKeepr

InstallMac

Javeview

Leperdvil

Manroling

Otwexplain

These are examples, not a complete list. The string could be anything. The point is that the same string will appear in the name of three files.

You could have more than one copy of the malware, with different values of something.

Move all such items to the Trash. If there are any other files with a name that begin with something, move them to the Trash also. After you've done that, there may not be anything left in the LaunchAgents folder; in that case, you can delete the folder, but otherwise don't delete it. Other files in the folder are not necessarily malicious (though they could be, if you also installed some other kind of malware.)

Log out or restart the computer. The trojan will now be inactive, but there are a few more components of it that should be cleaned up.

3. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Library/Application Support

and move to the Trash any subfolders named with the same something you found in Step 2.

Don't move the Application Support folder or anything else inside it.

4. Open the Applications folder. If there is an item with the same name as in Step 3, or any of the other names listed in Step 2, or with the name "Zip Devil," drag it to the Trash.

If in doubt, press the key combination option-command-4 to arrange the apps by date added. Look at the apps that have been added since you first noticed the problem. If there is one you don't recognize, drag it to the Trash.

Empty the Trash.

If you get an alert that the application is in use, force it to quit.

5. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall all extensions you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them. None is required for normal operation. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

6. Reset the home page in each of your browsers, if it was changed. In Safari, first load the home page you want, then select

Safari Preferences... General

and click

Set to Current Page

Sep 27, 2015 7:25 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you, Thomas and Linc,

I have done most of the things you've advised before I read your advice, and in a process I removed Bing, thanks Lord.

Thomas, I had one of my old SmileBox albums on my Facebook page and I found it yesterday by chance and wanted to look at it. As soon as I clicked on it, I had to download the program, and Bing slipped through then I think... No more Smile Box for me.

The most unpleasant part of the whole story was that Bing was completely invisible: I could not find a trace of it anywhere: no extentions, no files - nothing. Still, I managed to remove it, I have no idea how...

How to uninstall Bing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.