Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto vs photos

I don't understand why there's iPhoto when they still have the photos app

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 6:57 AM

21 replies

Oct 17, 2017 10:22 AM in response to Treets

What I see on my box is two libraries, one associated to iPhoto and other to Photo app. The size difference is trivial making Photo app’s library larger for only what was added to Photo after automated migration during OS upgrade happened, which is to my understanding and what I can recall (it has been a while) at that point
iPhoto data has been migrated automatically into Photo app's library. So, let's say one decides to opt using Photo app, can they delete library that is associated with iPhoto and not loose the photos entirely. What I mean by that? I see within Photo app there is a folder labeled "iPhoto Events" and that is what I mean, will I loose that or are those just tags imported along side original library content but are using data from the newly formed library within Photo app, or are tags ie metadata entirely dependent for that specific folder on iPhoto's library which I would like to delete if it will not affect previously asked ? Thank you for any input / comments you might have.

Oct 17, 2017 10:39 AM in response to SIPAnkh

iPhoto events is a folder with albums. The albums mimic the events you had in iPhoto. For each event from iPhoto you will find an album named like the original event, to save some of the structure in the iPhoto library. But all photos in the iPhoto Events albums are stored in your new Photos Library (unless they have been imported to iPhoto as referenced). You will not lose the photos from the iPhoto events or these albums, if you delete the old iPhoto Library.

Oct 17, 2017 2:09 PM in response to léonie

That is what I thought to be the case considering that I detected two separate instances. Thanks for the input. I also tested will references to the iPhoto's albums be lost if I remove its library by moving library at another location and two thing happened. As I initiated iPhoto the app asked me to direct it to the existing or build a new library instance, while Photo app never lost the reference points regarding original albums from iPhoto. Win win situation for my needs. Only unusual thing or rather unexpected, was the fact that iPhoto's library was X in size while iPhoto's was X+1 (real small difference) and when I removed iPhoto's library the calculated size removed in reality was 1/2 of the X, which is bit weird.

Jan 17, 2014 7:35 AM in response to figment767

Both apps support different things - iPhoto needs the Photos.app.

• The Photos.app manages the basic functionality
    • to store photos in the camera roll as the place for sharing photos and videos between apps,
    • import photos using the camera connection kit,
    • stream photos between devices
    • basic editing of photos.
  • The iPhoto.app is an additional front-end to the Photos app for better library organisation and sharing.
    • iPhoto does not store store photos on its own, but helps to create smart albums by tagging and flagging or adding captions,
    • You can create journals and slideshows and publish them on your iCloud webpage, share selected albums to iTunes, create photo books.
    • You have advanced editing options, like brushes for retouching.

Jan 7, 2016 7:30 AM in response to figment767

As a follow up to this question, I need to understand the following:

I have a few thousand photos that need organizing in events and topic albums. I should do that in iPhoto, not Photo? I want to finally organize into different libraries. Which do I use- iPhoto or Photoi?

When I want to copy an album to my iPad and/or iPhone, should I do it from iPhoto or Photo? But how do I get the album from iPhoto to Photo?

I'm really in a mess trying to figure all this out. Photos I casually take with my iPhone I don't want to necessarily have them automatically sync to my computer so iCloud is off and I manually choose which to sync. But now don't know whether to sync to iPhoto or Photo.

As you see, I really don't know the differences and how to sort all this out. I'm not even talking about Aperture at this point either.

Can I have a clear way to sort all this?

Thanks, Tzipora

Feb 5, 2016 10:15 PM in response to tzipora

Events and Albums are the paradigms that iPhoto used. The Photos app now handles the Event groupings automatically, based on photo dates and geolocation info. If you want less work when committing the photos to your archive, that's great; if you want more control, not so good.

Also, location info is easy to edit in iPhoto; in Photos, not so.

You can specify your own external editor of choice in iPhoto; in Photos, you're stuck with its (granted, quite good) internal capabilities. The only way around this are Photo's Extensions that would allow makers of photo editors to provide their functionality as an add-on.

Here are some suggestions for workarounds, and this is an excellent way to manage your libraries for iPhoto or Photos.

Now here's the problem: You will have to decide which app to use and then stick with it. Once you start modifying your Library with the one app, the changes you make will not be accessible from the other. So if you're happy with iPhoto, I would recommend staying with iPhoto and make the transition when you're happy that Photos' features have caught up with iPhoto's. Or if iPhoto is getting too old (Apple aren't developing it any further).

Good luck.

Feb 5, 2016 10:28 PM in response to Treets

Here are some suggestions for workarounds,

This link is a bit outdated, since it describes Photos 1.0 just after the release. Apple improved Photos since then quite a bit.

In Photos 1.3 on El Capitan we can geocode photos, change the titles and captions of several photos at one, there are more sorting options, and the third-party developers started providing photo editing extensions.The native photo editing tools in Photos are at least as good as in iPhoto, some are even more powerful.

All other parts of your post I agree with. 🙂

Feb 5, 2016 10:43 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for that, léonie.

The reason why I'm personally still on iPhoto is the excellent way you can specify a name for your location, as well as the location itself. So you can reference places that have meaning to you, not some place database from Apple Maps. And I haven't found an Extension that comes close to the functionality my image editor(s) provide.

Feb 5, 2016 11:40 PM in response to Treets

The reason why I'm personally still on iPhoto is the excellent way you can specify a name for your location, as well as the location itself.

Yes, the geocoding in Photos is still sadly lacking. But at least we can now add locations to photos. In the first version the feature was completely missing. I created a text file "My Places" with the name, the latitude, and longitude of the places I am using most. This way I can quickly copy and paste the coordinates into the location field of the Info panel in Photos.

And write the name of the place into the caption field, so I can search for it.

The map type Apple is currently using for Photos is not very suitable for geo referencing. The maps would be perfect for a navigation system - they are showing roads and buildings, shopping centres, hotels, restaurants, but most of the geographical features are missing, no height profile. It is impossible to locate precisely any photo outside the cities or off the road. The current maps are for people who never bother to get out of their cars.

Feb 6, 2016 12:50 AM in response to Treets

As a follow up to this question, I need to understand the following:

I have a few thousand photos that need organizing in events and topic albums. I should do that in iPhoto, not Photo? I want to finally organize into different libraries. Which do I use- iPhoto or Photoi?

When I want to copy an album to my iPad and/or iPhone, should I do it from iPhoto or Photo? But how do I get the album from iPhoto to Photo?

I'm really in a mess trying to figure all this out. Photos I casually take with my iPhone I don't want to necessarily have them automatically sync to my computer so iCloud is off and I manually choose which to sync. But now don't know whether to sync to iPhoto or Photo.

As you see, I really don't know the differences and how to sort all this out. I'm not even talking about Aperture at this point either.

Can I have a clear way to sort all this?

Thanks, Tzipora

Feb 6, 2016 12:53 AM in response to tzipora

I really appreciate the replies to my issue and the accompanying article listing the features/differences to iPhoto and photo. For now, I'm sticking with iPhoto based on your responses. Here's a follow-up question. In iPhoto i have built a number of albums. I want to be able to have the same album setup in my iPad. Or even to choose an album to have in my iPad. How do I do that?

Feb 6, 2016 5:04 AM in response to léonie

@léonie: Yes, that way you can sync the required photos back to your iOS device after you've done all the organising in iPhoto.

@tzipora: Your plan sounds good for now. There will come a point, of course, when iPhoto is so ancient that it won't be practical any more. By then, the Photos app will have hopefully matured to the same feature set as iPhoto and better. Using Photos will then bring many advantages, like the fact that your album structure will be the same across all devices, OSX or iOS.

iPhoto vs photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.