Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ClamXav virus scan has found JS.Adware.Multiplug malware on my macbook air. How do I remove it?

I started getting wierd adds popping up on my browser and so I ran my virus scan. Turns our I have malware. Does anyone know how to remove this? I tried deleting the file but that doesnt work. it just reappears.

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 7:10 AM

19 replies

Jan 17, 2014 2:07 PM in response to Luckyu44

I answered you on your other topic, but on that one you didn't mention this:

I started getting wierd adds popping up on my browser

This would not be related to that malware, which is not Mac malware as I indicated on your other topic, unless it is isolated to a specific site that has been hacked. You may, however, have installed some adware, which may not be detected by ClamXav. See if you have anything mentioned in my Adware Removal Guide installed, and if you do, follow the removal instructions there.

Jan 17, 2014 2:12 PM in response to Luckyu44

For fastest, most efficient assistance with questions such as this, visit the ClamXav Forum.

Luckyu44 wrote:

ClamXav virus scan has found JS.Adware.Multiplug malware on my macbook air.

We need to know exactly where it was found.

To get detailed information on what ClamXav has found, click in the top pane of the ClamXav window showing the Infection / File Name / Status to make sure it's in front and press the command and A keys, then command and C (or choose "Select-All", "Copy" from the "Edit" menu) to copy the information to your clipboard, then come back here and type command and V or choose "Paste" to show us what was found where.

From the infection name, I would have to say this is a javascript that provides adware, but in checking with virustotal.com, most of the other A-V scanners identify it as Windows only, so it may not necessarily the the cause of your problem.

Instructions for Dealing with Infected Files.

I suspect that you have a browser extension installed that is causing this, so start by disabling extensions if you are using Safari and read this Adware Removal Guide. If you use Glims I would start there.

Jan 23, 2014 6:40 PM in response to Luckyu44

I've been having similar problems on my MacBookPro, but I've been using Chrome. ClamXav also found this js.adware.multiplug, but you're correct in that it was in the Safari plugins folder, which should not be affecting Chrome. Clam found no other viruses or infections, running an updated Definition file that I just completed running this evening (12/23/14 6pm).

The behavior I'm see so far only seems to affect Gmail, and it only happens intermittently. When I click on links that normally opens a new tab going outside Gmail, instead of going to the intended destination, it opens some ad page. Once I close the tab and try clicking the link again, it goes to the correct page as it should have originally. This happens to various links in emails that come from trusted companies that I get email from all the time (airline reservations, etc.). I did catch a tab once in mid-flight as it was stuck, and it tried to go to a URL at this domain:

pp.developunit.info

Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 23, 2014 6:56 PM in response to henrus

henrus wrote:

I've been having similar problems on my MacBookPro, but I've been using Chrome. ClamXav also found this js.adware.multiplug, but you're correct in that it was in the Safari plugins folder, which should not be affecting Chrome.

There is no Safari plugins folder. There are Internet Plug-Ins folders which are used by most browsers and there is a ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ folder. Where was it found and what is the exact name of the file it was found in?

Jan 23, 2014 7:06 PM in response to henrus

henrus wrote:

I did catch a tab once in mid-flight as it was stuck, and it tried to go to a URL at this domain:

pp.developunit.info

That site has been the subject of discussion on the Adblock plus forum, but all the info seems to relate to Windows users.

In Chrome, select "Extensions" from the Chrome Windows menu and give me the names of all the installed extensions.

ClamXav virus scan has found JS.Adware.Multiplug malware on my macbook air. How do I remove it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.