Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has Preview just sabotaged a whole weeks worth of work?!?!

Okay so I am an illustrator and I work with photoshop, last night I opened one of my pieces that I have been working on non stop for the past week in Preview... This morning I realized that was a HUGE mistake, it has ruined my .psd file by merging all layers into one, as you can probably guess I am extrememly frustrated by this and what is more frustrating is there was no warning message that this would happen! Please, is there a way to get my original .psd file back?!?!?!

URGENT!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 6:45 AM

11 replies

Jan 17, 2014 8:08 AM in response to BobRz

I have not, I dont know how to set up Time Machine, but If I can figure it out can I still retreive files from before my Time Machine set up?

My lesson from all this is to never again open a .psd in Preview!!

Luckily I was close to finnishing stages and all I have to do is try and seamlessly edit out a template that I was planning to just simply delete at the end, which will be a challenge, so It's not impossible for it to be usable again, just difficult and time consuming especially as I have to match some shades and re draw parts again with perfect integration.. FML lol

Jan 17, 2014 8:11 AM in response to Tosh-U-RaHhHhH

No, sorry. If Time Machine were already in place you'd be able to retrieve a copy of what you had before the Preview incident, but it had to already be set up.

The other lesson is maybe to consider setting up Time Machine when you get a chance. You just had the backup lesson that most people go through before they realize the importance of having backups.

Sorry, thought there might be a chance, so I sent the note.

Jan 17, 2014 5:13 PM in response to Tosh-U-RaHhHhH

It is bad that Preview didn't warn you, but I'm not aware of very many (if any) non-Photoshop apps that can preserve Photoshop layers. When an application says it reads Photoshop files, most of the time that means they read the flattened "maximize compatibility" layer only.

Since Preview has nowhere near the feature list of Photoshop, I don't see how it could be expected to preserve the features and layers. I only use Preview for exactly the purpose that its own name implies: Previewing.

Why has Preview just sabotaged a whole weeks worth of work?!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.