Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 5.1: refuses to open documents, insisting needs update

Help! Over 200 page document, not to mention thousands of pages of work that I cannot access... is it locked down by some glitch?

Pages 5.0.1 has been on my macbook for a while now. I'm not in love, but have adapted. Last night, admittedly after the most recent 10.9.1 update, it refuses to open my Pages created documents. Error message says, "You need a newer version of Pages to open this document"..."You can download the latest version of Pages from the Mac App Store." The problem is, that when you follow the link, the app of course says "installed", and there is no waiting update. It's like a maniacal little cycle to drive me crazy.

I have tried the Command + I trick, and the control + click, but it will not open with an earlier version either. Yes, a restart was done. I'm on a 8GB macbook pro with miles of memory left, like 500GB out of 749 says the Storage info, graphics card, 2.2 GHz

As a possibly related (but not likely) for the past week or two I have been getting a message that kept prompting me to sign into an old appleID. I figured it was related to the update I was dragging my feet on. When I went to sync it all up, of course it made me change my other apple ID's and passwords. Grr.

I am a teacher, not a tech person...

I just want to open my docs... so any help (especially written in dunce) would really be appreciated.

The kids will thank you too.

Feeling very frustrated. 😟

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 7:10 AM

8 replies

Jan 17, 2014 7:36 AM in response to t3ach3r

You still have the older Pages 09 on the computer. You are trying to open a Pages 5 document with Pages 09 and that can't be done, hence the error message.

If you don't like Pages 5 (nor do I) don't use it. Use Pages 09 which ou should have in applications/ iWork 09 folder.! Any Pages 5 document you want ot open with Pages 09 has to first be exported to Pages 09 in the file menu.

Feb 6, 2014 12:42 PM in response to fruhulda

The problem is that the pages 5.1 won't open the documents created in the 5.1 version. If I send a document by mail to myself I can't open it from my mail client. Nor can I download it from my mail client and open it on my computer. Even if I was the one creating the document on the very same computer using pages 5.1.

Does anyone know a solution or is it simply better to go back to pages 4.3?

Mar 7, 2014 12:10 AM in response to t3ach3r

I have 3 Macs .... all on OSX 10.9.2 and all upgraded to Pages 5.1 ... so it is reasonable to assume that I can create a document on one laptop ... save to the iCloud .... and open it on another laptop to work on later on.

WRONG!

Like you - I get this message that I need the new version of Pages to open the document ...... but I am already on the latest one.

It is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!

It defeats the purpose of having iCloud if I cannot access the document on any other laptop except for the one that created ti!

Forget about trying to work on it on the iPad. The alignments are all out and images don't download ........ it's a mess!!!!!!!!

Apple please fix this problem before you loose your once loyal users.

Pages 5.1: refuses to open documents, insisting needs update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.