Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Items removed from the Stores

SCENARIO:

- I buy a movie on my AppleTv. After watching it I don't archive a copy of the movie on any of my devices.

- After some time that movie is removed from the iTunesStore.

What happens next? Will I be still able to download the purchased movies also if it's removed from the iTunesStore?

[PS- the question is also about Books, Apps and matched Music on iTunes Match]

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 8:12 AM

15 replies

Aug 30, 2017 12:02 PM in response to TonesNotes

TonesNotes wrote:

A large part of how I justify the high fees Apple charges for movies and TV shows is long term, multi-device access.

This policy needs to change if Apple expects to keep me as a content customer.

And if they aren't a reliable content provider, they may soon find they are no longer a preferred platform provider.

You will find that this type of policy is the same across most digital vendors. If the rights holder removes something from the iTunes Store, Apple has no legal right to provide you with an additional download. Back ups are your responsibility.

You can submit your feedback directly to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Aug 30, 2017 1:46 PM in response to TonesNotes

TonesNotes wrote:

That's funny, the iCloud Drive I have access to on all my devices is exactly cloud storage and the function we're after is exactly backup.

No, really it doesn't function like a back up at all. If you delete something from your iCloud Drive, it deletes it from all the devices linked to that drive. Back ups don't work that way. Deleting something stored on your local drive doesn't delete it from your Time Machine back up.

Cloud storage means you can remove the item from your local device without affecting what is stored and vice versa.

The distinction is more than just semantic when you start running out of space somewhere and start deleting things.

If you feel that there is some sort of problem with your purchase, which would include not being able to re-download something that should still be there, start here:

Get help with an item purchased from the iTunes Store, App Store, Mac App Store, or iBooks Store - Apple Support

Apple may not get advance warning from the rights holders. Apple has already given you warning that this could happen and you should make back ups. You've chosen to ignore that. Submit your feedback to Apple suggesting something different. I've already provided you with the link.

Google and Amazon have similar terms of use. They also expect you to back up your purchases.

Aug 30, 2017 12:18 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Apple as my cloud storage provider has every right to preserve a backup of purchased content.

And if it fails to do so, it will affect my long term interest in buying additional content.

I have no issue with rights holders removing items from the store. Apple's interface needs to become smarter to know what content was previously purchased and can therefore still be shown to user's with existing rights to that content.

Aug 30, 2017 1:02 PM in response to TonesNotes

TonesNotes wrote:

Apple as my cloud storage provider has every right to preserve a backup of purchased content.

And if it fails to do so, it will affect my long term interest in buying additional content.

I have no issue with rights holders removing items from the store. Apple's interface needs to become smarter to know what content was previously purchased and can therefore still be shown to user's with existing rights to that content.

The right to re-download purchased items is not in any way, shape or form, "cloud storage". While Apple may allow you to re-download something you've already purchased (part of the rights they've negotiated with the rights holders), Apple does not have the right to keep copies of items that the rights holders have removed from their store. This is clearly spelled out in the Terms of Sale.

Really, Apple doesn't provide cloud storage. They provide cloud syncing and back up. If you want cloud storage, consider something like DropBox.

You should certainly explore your options. Certainly no one here has any vested interest in where you buy your movies. You will find, I suspect, that Apples Terms are not unique.

Best of luck.

Aug 30, 2017 1:13 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

That's funny, the iCloud Drive I have access to on all my devices is exactly cloud storage and the function we're after is exactly backup.

If I manually downloaded a movie and manually copied it to a folder on my iCloud Drive, Apple would end up storing the movie up in the cloud for me and I'd have access to the movie across all my devices.

I'd love to see the language in the Terms of Sale that prevent Apple from automating this process.

Perhaps instead of Dropbox we should consider something like Android and Amazon.

Aug 30, 2017 1:22 PM in response to TonesNotes

And on the same note: How do we know if the content was removed by a rights holder rather than just accidentally messed up by some internal mistake?

I went to re-watch a specific scene from the movie Cashback and found that instead of the movie I'm now looking at a two minute trailer of the movie. Something just seems broken there. If I try to find the movie in the store its not there at all. It would be a tremendous improvement if I was able to find a record of when and why it was made unavailable.

Even better would be receiving advance notice that specific content was being removed and being given the option of downloading before removal.

What's to prevent the extreme case where I buy a movie on my AppleTV but delay watching it while I finish dinner. Then I hit play and find out I no longer own rights to anything because the rights holder has chosen to remove the content?

Feb 26, 2014 5:55 PM in response to lilli256

iTunes: Frequently asked questions about viewing and syncing videos

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2729

Can I burn iTunes Store Videos to DVD?

You can save your iTunes Store movies to data DVDs for backup purposes (if you have a supported DVD burner), but these DVDs will not play in a DVD player.

You cannot convert iTunes Store videos to another format to author to DVD.

Items removed from the Stores

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.