Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Immediately Reopens what I close it. Why?

So when I close Aperture, it immediately reopens itself. I've quit. I've repair the database. There's nothing plugged in to trigger the import feature.

Help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 13", 8gb RAM, 256gb HD (late 2012)

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 8:39 AM

There's nothing plugged in to trigger the import feature.

Nothing at all? Not even an iPod, a memory stick, a picture Cd in the CD drive? Have you restarted the system, and does it still go on?

Check your User login items (in the System Preferences > Users&Groups >Login Items), if something is running, that might trigger Aperture.

Have you been opening a document, when aperture is launching? sometimes the "Open with" is set incorrectly for documents. If you can remember, what you tried to open, when paerture launched, check the "open with" for that document in the Finder with "File > Get Info"

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2014 8:39 AM in response to toddpeperkorn

There's nothing plugged in to trigger the import feature.

Nothing at all? Not even an iPod, a memory stick, a picture Cd in the CD drive? Have you restarted the system, and does it still go on?

Check your User login items (in the System Preferences > Users&Groups >Login Items), if something is running, that might trigger Aperture.

Have you been opening a document, when aperture is launching? sometimes the "Open with" is set incorrectly for documents. If you can remember, what you tried to open, when paerture launched, check the "open with" for that document in the Finder with "File > Get Info"

Jan 17, 2014 8:44 AM in response to léonie

All good questions. You have basically outlined my troubleshooting. There's nothing connected or running.

I've disabled all the login items.

There are no other documents being opened. Everything else is closed and I simply go to the dock, right click on Aperture and select quit. Or, go into Aperture and select quit.

FWIW, I've also changed libraries, tried opening from a library, and reset a couple times.

Jan 17, 2014 8:57 AM in response to toddpeperkorn

Does the same happen, when you are opening Aperture from a different User Account? If not, I'd try troubleshooting the Preferences and Presets, as described in this support article:

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

If the same happens from a different user account, check for a system issue. Look at the Activity Monitor utility, what processes are active, and at the Console window for diagnostic messages, that are appearing at the time of the launching.

(both apps: Activitiy Monitor and Console are in the folder Applications > Utilities).

Jan 24, 2014 2:49 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Here's the error I get in the Console when I quit Aperture and it immediately reopens:

1/24/14 2:47:23.396 PM Aperture[858]: The function `CGContextClear' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.

I'm going to go try it in a different user.

Jan 24, 2014 3:01 PM in response to toddpeperkorn

I'm getting the same warning, when Aperture launches:

24/01/14 23:54:58,918 Aperture[703]: The function `CGContextClear' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.

But Aperture does not relaunch automatically after quitting, so that does not seem to be related.

Is your Aperture version also Aperture 3.5.1?

Jan 25, 2014 5:52 AM in response to toddpeperkorn

toddpeperkorn wrote:

Here's the error I get in the Console when I quit Aperture and it immediately reopens:

1/24/14 2:47:23.396 PM Aperture[858]: The function `CGContextClear' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.

I'm going to go try it in a different user.

That error is unlikely to have anything to do with your problem.

It does not have the problem when I go into another user.

Ok that's good. What happens of you make a new library in your account as a test and use that for a bit. Same problem?

If the probem still occurs with the new library you should move the Aperture preference file out, if it doesn't try runnning a library repair.

regards

Aperture Immediately Reopens what I close it. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.