Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 Calendar Floating time zone - where is it?

In Mavericks, when using Time Zone Support for Calendar, one of the options is "Floating", rather than picking a time zone. This is perfect for scheduling airline connections. Why? When I'm about to travel, I don't care about the time my connecting flight WOULD have left IF I had been in the time zone I'm standing in. I won't be in the current time zone for that flight. This is where Time Zone Support really falls down - except for the benefit of "Floating". If my flight from LAX leaves at 4pm, I never want it showing up any other way, no matter what time zone I'm currently in. "Floating" time zone does that. Woohoo!

HOWEVER, I can't find a "Floating" option when creating a Calendar entry on my iOS devices. I've looked hard. For time zone, I tried entering "Float", "None", "NA", nothing seems to work.

ALSO, in Mavericks, the LAX actual flight time, 4pm, displays in Month, Week and Day view. On iPhone and iPad - IT DOES NOT. When you click and Edit, only THEN do you see the actual flight time.

This seems unbelievable, so I hope someone can tell me it is, and it's nothing more than a setting that I've missed.

It is disconcerting to look at the Calendar on my Mac, side-by-side with my iPhone and iPad, all synchronized, all set to the same time zone, with Time Zone Support tunred on - AND THE DISPLAYED TIMES ARE DIFFERENT. The Mac shows the correct time for Floating time zone, the iOS devices do not.

Unfortunately, I've had to turn Time Zone Support off on all devices, and now use only my home time zone on the Mac. This would be OK, I can do the math in my head. What's not OK is that alarms now don't work as expected. They are off by the offset of the hours difference between my home time zone and where I am. ALSO, it is NOT OK for me to override the time on the iPhone. I'm willing to live with the Mac in my home time zone, but I use my iPhone differently, and need the current time in my current time zone - so, again, the times on my iPhone are inaccurate.

A really good solution would be for iOS devices to support Floating time zone. Especially since the Mac Calender and iOS Calendars are supposed to synchronize. I would say they do not synchronize correctly if the Mac has an important option not shared by iOS Calendar.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion, Maxed out June 2012 Air

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 12:19 PM

There are no replies.

iOS 7 Calendar Floating time zone - where is it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.