Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nas_for-iphoto: trouble connecting iPhoto 08 with an external NAS

Hi,

I am having problems viewing my iPhoto (08) library which is only located on an external NAS. This set-up has worked previously for several months, now it has stopped working and I can't seem to solve it and view the photos as I normally would. I have an iMac from 2009 with an upto date version of Mac OS X, version 10.6.8 and it is workign fine in general. My iPhoto library is less than 1 TB in size, I belive 1/2 TB. Here are the potential solutions I have tried:

1) I can access the photos on the NAS if I use the Apple Finder application, but only one photo at a time, which is not ideal.

2) When I try to open iPhoto the application opens, it starts to load the photos, but then delivers a message that there are 'NO PHOTOS'.

Does anyone have any tips to help me trouble-shoot and resolve this issue? I would really like to view my photos on my iMac again. Thanks in advance.

/Mr. Rose

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac (2009)

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 12:19 PM

2 replies

Jan 17, 2014 2:46 PM in response to Mr. Rose

Well, I think you have a problem, and hopefully you have a recent backup. Apple does not support iPhoto libraries stored on non-Mac formatted disks, as your NAS certainly is. Your iPhoto library structure is most likely damaged beyond repair because of this. Your photos are probably not damaged (they're in the library, in the 'Originals' folder), but the rest of the library is toast. If you have no backup, the best you can do is copy the photos to a properly formatted drive and import them into a new library. You can use an external drive, but it must be Mac formatted and connected to your computer by USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt. If you really want NAS storage, Time Capsule from Apple is the only way to go

Frank

Message was edited by: Frank Miller2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.