Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is my ~Library/Content folder ?

Hi all,

On my MacBook Air with Maverick 10.9.1, I am trying to locate some Kindle book files that I know are in a subfolder reachable via the ~Library/Content path. However, when I navigate to the Library folder, there is no Content folder visible in it. I have used the InVisible app to un-hide all my folders, so I'm completely flummoxed.

The reason I know that these files should be there is that I ran the following command in the Terminal window:

find . -name *.azw

And that command yielded the following results:

./Library/Containers/com.amazon.Kindle/Data/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content/Aesops-Fables.azw

./Library/Containers/com.amazon.Kindle/Data/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content/B0053O7X9Y_EBOK.azw

./Library/Containers/com.amazon.Kindle/Data/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content/B005KLQYJ0_EBOK.azw

./Library/Containers/com.amazon.Kindle/Data/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content/Pride-and-Prejudice.azw

./Library/Containers/com.amazon.Kindle/Data/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content/Treasure-Island.azw

I'm totally stumped. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance!

-Joalie

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 1:12 PM

Ok, responding to my own question here. I downloaded the program Find Any File (though I guess it's not the only one available) and it quickly found my ebooks by the file name, revealed the path, and allowed me to open the encasing folder. So I'm happy as a clam, but still annoyed that I could not get at my file using any reasonable method. Thanks very much for the kind assistance with this strange and pesky problem! 🙂

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2014 1:12 PM in response to Joalie

Ok, responding to my own question here. I downloaded the program Find Any File (though I guess it's not the only one available) and it quickly found my ebooks by the file name, revealed the path, and allowed me to open the encasing folder. So I'm happy as a clam, but still annoyed that I could not get at my file using any reasonable method. Thanks very much for the kind assistance with this strange and pesky problem! 🙂

Jan 17, 2014 1:02 PM in response to Axeman1020

Thanks for the quick response!

There is no 'Kindle' file my 'Application Support' folder, either. However, the problem is that my own computer (via the Terminal command find . -name *.azw) is telling me that the files should be accessible via this path...

./Library/Containers/com.amazon.Kindle/Data/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content/

But when I go to the 'Containers' folder in the 'Library' folder, there is no 'com.amazon.Kindle' folder (or anything similar) visible -- even with all the folders un-hidden.

Feb 13, 2015 11:38 AM in response to MadMacs0

Spotlight does not search the entire hard drive, only directories that Apple designates.

When you have the full directory path you can use the terminal and navigate to the specified folder. Then using the ls command with options lahO (ls -lahO) look to see if the file has a hidden flag. Unhiding is done with the chflags command. Read the man pages.

Also any file name that starts with a period '.' will be hidden from the finder.

Feb 13, 2015 4:21 PM in response to Tamers

Tamers wrote:

Spotlight does not search the entire hard drive, only directories that Apple designates.

Yes I know. I believe that is what I said.

When you have the full directory path you can use the terminal and navigate to the specified folder. Then using the ls command with options lahO (ls -lahO) look to see if the file has a hidden flag. Unhiding is done with the chflags command.

OP was looking in the wrong place. This did not involve any hidden files.

Mar 30, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Joalie

I had this problem too. It cost me hours of trying and searching. None of the offered solutions worked for me. The Kindle Content folder seemed simply gone. Until I re-downloaded the Kindle app for Mac, replacing the older one. Then my folder was back, where it had always been before: users/Library/ Application Support/ Kindle/My Kindle Content. Only my latest purchases were in the folder. The older content was missing but that I could copy from a back-up on an external drive. Hope this is helpful.

Where is my ~Library/Content folder ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.