Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAIL V6.6 in Mavericks?

I am seriously hating Mail V7.1, as I've posted elsewhere, I am still unable to view html images in my email. I have tried clicking "load html images" in Prefs On & Off, no diff. I have re-installed the OS X 10.9.1 combined update. I could try rebuilding my mailboxes, but I will only do that if I have to, as it takes a long time and I'd need to re-sort all of my mail afterwards.

Question is.... can I install MAIL V6.6 from Mountain Lion and use that instead? I'm guessing "No" but maybe someone has a solution. Or is there a really good 3rd party app. that can be recommended, that is better than Apple MAIL?

I'll attach here a pic of my problem, I am not attempting to double post, but just as an indication of why I want to install a diff. MAIL app.

With thanks.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Quad 2.6GHz

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 3:27 PM

17 replies

Jan 17, 2014 5:38 PM in response to STUPENDOUS!!!

You cannot use Mountain Lion Mail in Mavericks.

Is this a POP account? If you click on the image in the message does it download then? If yes, this sounds like

your message might be partially downloaded. I don't have a POP account to verify, but look for the settings to download complete message bodies.

Open Mail > Preferences > Accounts > most likely it's under Mailbox behaviors or Advanced tab.

Mar 11, 2014 7:24 PM in response to Bob Jacobson

You can test in a new User. This will let you know if the issue is in your User's folder or if you removed something at the base level.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching.

Do you still see the issue?

If yes, then the problem is with your base files.

If no, then the problem is in your User's folder.

Let us know what you find.

Mar 12, 2014 10:55 AM in response to Bob Jacobson

Finding the issue in the User's folder can be very difficult. Some issues are common and we know what to suggest to fix. The issue with images is not one that I am familiar with so not sure what to suggest. Often it is easier to move to the new User.

You can try fixes listed here: Troubleshoot Office. It's not just for Office for Mac but for general troubleshooting

http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/troubleshoot/

Transferring files from one account to another on the same Mac

Use your Shared folder:

• In the Finder, navigate to the Shared folder. It is located in the Users folder.

Your Hard Drive/Users/Shared

1. Copy any files or folders you wish to the Shared folder, such as items on your desktop, in your Documents folder, in your Music folder, and so forth. You may be asked to enter an administrator password when copying certain items. Note: To ensure that you copy items (as opposed to moving items), hold the Option key as you drag files to the Shared folder. Depending on item permissions, some files or folders will copy by default, some may move by default.
  2. Log out of the current account.
  3. Log in to the new account (that you are transferring files to).
  4. In the Finder, navigate to the Shared folder. It is located in the Users folder.
  5. Copy any files or folders you wish from the Shared folder to the desired locations, such as desktop, Documents folder, Music folder, and so forth. You may be asked to enter an administrator password when copying certain items.

If you are low on disc space be careful since this copies data. Move one item at a time then delete the original before starting the next copy.

Tip: Rather than move the default root folders, I like to create a folder in shared i.e. "documents", "desktop" etc and move the contents of these folders into the custom folder. When you move to the new User you copy the contents into the root folders.

The User's Library folder is one you need to be very careful in what you bring over. Most likely the issue is in your User's Library. Mail, browser settings and most of the items in Application Support are safe to bring over.

Remove User

Lastly, unless you are really low on disk space I would leave the test user for those times you need to troubleshoot. However to delete go to System Preferences > User's & Groups. Select the account and click on the - to remove.

Mar 12, 2014 1:58 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Hi Diane, I found out the problem: Cleaning my files, I also threw away all my Mail Rules. Hence, everything is going every which way and even though Junk Mail filtering is unchecked, Junk mail is doing its stuff, which includes requiring me to check "Load Images" for every piece of mail it filters -- right now, almost every email! I have Spamsieve installed which normally shuts Junk down pretty cold, so my task now is to restore all my Rules (ugh) plus ensure Spamsieve is among them.

The clue, fyi, was that not only were the images not loading, the headers are all a bright orange which I cannot stand. Apple Mail's designers are really not the brightest bulbs on the block. I wonder if there are any designers anymore, or whether we're all just cruising on work done back in 2012 and earlier. Thanks for your help.

Mar 12, 2014 6:04 PM in response to Bob Jacobson

If you have Time Machine you can restore the missing mail rules and another other files you might have trashed.

You need to navigate to your Mail folder before entering Time Machine.

It's in your User's Library. See link below if you don't know how to show.

You can restore just the items you need. If you are unsure, I would restore to the entire MailData folder and select to save to Desktop or "keep both".

Mail > V2 > MailData

If you replace the entire MailData folder, I suggest you delete the 3 files with envelope in the name. This will reindex Mail. I wound't mix/match the envelope files.

How to enable the User’s Library folder

Just think of all the new stuff you have learned solving your problem. G:-)

MAIL V6.6 in Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.