Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ways to prevent my iPhone 5 charger from breaking

I've gone through 2 chargers in 6 months. They broke the same way, the end where the cord meets the plastic. When it breaks though, it also breaks the wire somehow as well.

http://i43.tinypic.com/5vys9f.jpg

I've seen a way where you just put the spring on the charger, but the thing is that my chargers don't bubble at that end, ever,.

I'm on my last charger and I surely don't want to break another one again, as chargers are REALLY expensive and I don't want to purchase another one.

Any advice?

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 4:48 PM

2 replies

Jul 18, 2014 1:49 AM in response to maribee

I Have been looking for ways to avoid that part from bending / breaking. And the most ive found is people are getting speings out of old pens laying around in a drawer and they put it at the end where it messes up. I just got another charger today because the other 2 broke and i am going to try this i hope it works for both of us if you try itUser uploaded file here is a link to the video i saw http://youtu.be/uy2QxeZ3gt0

HOpe this helps

Jul 18, 2014 4:42 AM in response to maribee

You handle the cord more carefully. You don't jerk on the cord. You pull the cord out by grasping the plastic end piece. You don't bend the cord at sharp angles. All common sense (you would think) stuff.

I have had a lightning cord for two years for an iPad and iPhone and have yet to have a cord fail. The problem is not the cord it is the way the cord is handled. And to be specific, you have not gone through chargers, you have gone through cords. Distinctly different devices. As for expensive, a new cord is $19.00.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.