Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I move mp3 files on my computer to my data drive without itunes bugging out?

I have two different hard drive spaces, C and D, my C is almost full and I just want to move the mp3 files (my entire music folder on windows) I have to my almost empty D. Is there any way to do this without having to have itunes re-find my whole library? and will it have to re-upload everything to iTunes match as well?

Windows 8

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 4:52 PM

2 replies

Jan 17, 2014 5:21 PM in response to thisisntjoe

Relocate iTunes library

The preferred option is to relocate the entire iTunes library folder rather than just the media. Assuming that the media folder is still a subfolder of the main iTunes folder at present you can move the entire iTunes folder to a new path, e.g. to D:\iTunes, then hold down the shift key as you launch iTunes, keep holding shift until prompted to choose or create a library and choose the library in its new location, e.g. D:\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl.

If you've already split out the media folder to a new path see make a split library portable.

Optional, if you have any iOS devices...

Relocate iOS device backups

Assuming you're running Windows Vista or later you can use the following steps:

1. Open a command prompt by hitting the start button and typing CMD<Enter> in the search box that opens up.
  2. To move the current backup folder from C: to D: type in this command and press <Enter>
    Move "C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\Backup"
    Where <User> is your Windows user name.
  3. To make iTunes look for the data in the new location type in this command and press <Enter>
    MkLink /J "C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\Backup"

If your external drive has a different letter or you already have a folder called "Backup" then edit "D:\Backup" accordingly in both commands.

Anyone still running Windows XP can use Junction (cmd line tool) or NTFSLink (shell ext). for the same task In both cases you move the existing folder to a new location, create an empty folder where the old one used to be, then use the tools to get the operating system to link the two together and silently redirect any file operation on the old location through to the new one.

Note that while this method works for iOS device backups it cannot be used to redirect sections of the media library.

tt2

Can I move mp3 files on my computer to my data drive without itunes bugging out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.