Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5th Generation Airport Extreme - Wifi Slow, dropping connections

I just upgraded my 2nd generation Airport Extreme to a refurbished 5th generation I purchased from Apple.com

I duplicated the configuration of the old one, as I have a static IP address and what not from my ISP. Also, I have a few port mappings for outside access. Everything plugged in via ethernet, seems to be working without issue.

Everything wireless, which is to say - a Roku, a desktop/all in one, 3 laptops, 4 smartphones, and a tablet are not working as expected. Oddly enough, they are slow to resolve. For example, going to www.yahoo.com took nearly 20 seconds to resolve. At first I thought it was a DNS service issu, and changed to another set of DNS servers (went from Level 3 to another provider, just to test)..... same thing. Also, computers would also go from connected to "limited connectivity".

Network is a mixed bag Windows 7, 8, and OS X, same with phones, Windows Phone, iOS, and Android, tablet is webOS or something. Everything is at least 802.11 n compatible.

In my Wireless Settings of Airport Utility I have this configured:

Radio Mode: Automatic - manual 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n

Radio Channel Selection - 149 5ghz and 1 2.4 ghz

Security, wpa2

Wireless Network Options: unchecked is 5ghz network name

Multicast = low

Country = USA

Transmit power = 100%

WPA group key timeout = 60 seconds

I unchecked use wide channels, and create a closed network is not checked.

---

Now, I have a older airport express (I think it's 3rd gen) that I use in a plug that borders my living room / kitchen to extend the network. Nothing peculiar is configured on that thing other than the default network extension settings.

At the moment, it is unplugged, as I was using inSSIDer to make sure my network was configured to the right channels compared to what my neighbors were doing. Everyone else is on 6 or 12, and there are no 5ghz channels in range.

Does anyone know what might be causing the horrific resolution times on my Macbook Pro... it's pretty awful, loading your average websites takes far more time over wifi than over ethernet (also tested this).

Really, nothing changed except some 'newer' hardware was added, the 5th gen airport. Any help is appreciated! 🙂

Airport Extreme 5th Generation-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 6:00 PM

9 replies

Jan 17, 2014 7:59 PM in response to tbonecopper

I am having this same problem, however I have a 3rd generation, the 802.11n and I am running version 7.6.4 connected to a cable modem. We use it wirelessly exclusively in our home. I have not had a problem with this ever but within the last couple of weeks it began dropping randomly daily. We reset it and it works for about another 24-36 hours and then does it again. This evening, however, it dropped and we reset, and it dropped again, and agian reset... this same cycle has gone on about 6 times now. I cannot find a commonality in programs or devices being used. It seems completely random. 😕

Jan 17, 2014 11:35 PM in response to VJBDavis

Well,

A. If nothing has changed within your physical network, first look for two things.

1. If you can, replace the Ethernet cable to the Airport. I am assuming that you have a ISP supplied connection that goes directly to your Airport. If it's different, please describe.

2. See if you can determine if there may be New, either due to you or neighbors, Transmitting equipment—like wireless telephones, microwave ovens, etc. These cause interfernce on the 2.4Ghz band.

B. Run the Wireless Diagnostic Program, then launch ⌘2 (under the 'Window' pull-down menu) which will open "Utilities" Tools.

Now click the "Performance" tab and watch the Green signal (RSSI) chart and the blue Noise chart. After watching it for a while see if there is a mathematical difference between the two of at least 20. — (Search with Spotlight for: "network diagnostics")

Note: depending on which OSX version you have you may not have these tools.

-Alan

Jan 18, 2014 12:32 PM in response to tbonecopper

I was not aware there was a 7.7.2 I have automatic updates on for the Macbook Pro but i do not think that would update the airport. How do I check and see if that update can be done?

I replace the cable and the same problem occurs. We have not added anything new to our home, I have no idea about the neighbors though. Most of them are never around. Very quiet where we are.

I am connected to a cable modem.

I found nothing on network diagnostics... I am running OS X 10.9.1. This is all I had....

User uploaded file

Jan 18, 2014 7:49 PM in response to VJBDavis

Once you launch the AirPort utility it sets an automatic check for the AirPort updates weekly. You don't have to be running AirPort utility to receive update notifications, the Mac handles this.

To update, it depends on which version of AirPort utility you have—in v6.3.2 if you click the Airport device a pop-up will detail pertinent data including firmware version. 'Option' click and it will show the versions available.

Your nicely done graphic is the 'Network' Control the System 'Preferences' application. There is a separate set of tools for Wireless diagnostics, unfortunately the "Assist Me" button does not launch the extended diagnostics.

I just re-read your original problem statement, as a next step I would re-install the just-prior version of the firmware and watch it's behavior for log enough to give you confidence if it is stable or mis-behaving. Then bring it up to the latest version that is available for your device and watch for a change in its behavior.

If it acts up in both firmware releases, then I still would still lean towards interference, then towards a hardware issue. However, you didn't specifically define what "drops means. I could interpret as meaning that no one can connect at all, or it may mean that you are connected via WiFi but there is no Internet data available, or it could mean that the modem has detached the AirPort, or it could mean that the modem isn't presenting the Internet to your AirPort.

And it would be handy to know if when it 'drops' can you still access and configure through the airport utility?

7.7.2 is the latest version available for the latest AC capable units.

-Alan

Jan 18, 2014 9:49 PM in response to Alan Edinger

Ok i have a relatively new Extreme and here is what i see on 5 GHz vs 2.4 GHz.

This happens frequently - the 5 GHz wireless connection drops, slows way down, or just does not connect.

I reassociate to 2.4GHz and viola, works perfectly. This is with 7.7.2 firmware.

Pinging a site on the east coast from the west coast, first on 5 GHz:

64 bytes from 24.93.38.29: icmp_seq=8 ttl=113 time=909.161 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 9

64 bytes from 24.93.38.29: icmp_seq=9 ttl=113 time=1013.389 ms

64 bytes from 24.93.38.29: icmp_seq=10 ttl=113 time=631.026 ms

64 bytes from 24.93.38.29: icmp_seq=11 ttl=113 time=977.959 ms

64 bytes from 24.93.38.29: icmp_seq=13 ttl=113 time=814.521 ms

64 bytes from 24.93.38.29: icmp_seq=14 ttl=113 time=226.186 ms

^C

16 packets transmitted, 13 packets received, 18.8% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 226.186/818.213/1498.367/334.693 ms

THEN ON 2.4 GHZ THIS IS THE NORMAL PING TIME

bash-3.2$ ping nc.rr.com

PING nc.rr.com (24.93.38.29): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 24.93.38.29: icmp_seq=0 ttl=113 time=76.996 ms

64 bytes from 24.93.38.29: icmp_seq=1 ttl=113 time=99.699 ms

64 bytes from 24.93.38.29: icmp_seq=2 ttl=113 time=76.806 ms

64 bytes from 24.93.38.29: icmp_seq=3 ttl=113 time=71.794 ms

I just did this and was about to post it when i saw this original post. This has been a CONSTANT problem with my Airport Extreme since I bought it.... in general 5 GHz coverage pretty much ***** in my house - a two story wood frame house - and its very flaky... very unpredictable.

I suspect the hardware myself... and i work in the wifi tech business...

Message was edited by: Mark Ennamorato1 AND i just was switching back and forth to 5GHz again..im 60 feet away in another room on the same floor, and Airport Utility (yet another piece of junk software but that's another discussion...) cannot even FIND the A.E....until i switch back to 2.4 GHz... clearly this thing is in a bad state right now for some unknown reason

Message was edited by: Mark Ennamorato1 oops wow...Airport Utility actually saw the AE after about a minute on 5 GHz... finds it in about 1 second on 2.4 GHz.

Jan 19, 2014 2:25 AM in response to tbonecopper

Ok, in that case I do not have 7.7.2 since the one listed is 7.6.4

Drops means that nobody can connect to the Airport. Upon opening the airport utility the time capsule is not even there to click on and says there is no airport base station detected. There is no access to configure. I have to unplug the Airport and plug is back in to let everything reset before it becomes available again.

I will try the previous firmware.

Thx!!

5th Generation Airport Extreme - Wifi Slow, dropping connections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.