Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S stolen with iOS 7.0.4, Find My iPhone activated. Any Tips?

Hi all,

My iPhone 5S got stolen at a crowded place in India during a visit to historical place. Resigtered complaint with police, pvoided them all details (IMEI etc) and called cellular service provider. Service provider informed me that my sim got used in another iPhone 5, and they provided me with its IMEI number as well which I forwarded to police as well (could serve a clue). Since the activation lock prevents any new sim to be used in iPhone with iOS7, isn't this feature a demerit in locating a lost iPhone. I want to know if inserting any new sim in my lost iPhone would atleast bring it on celullar network so as to enable tracking.

Please fuel my search with some good tips.

Thanks.

Sivia.

Edmonton.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 1:55 AM

8 replies

Jan 18, 2014 8:55 PM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for inputs Rudegar,

Like I mentioned, FMI (Find My iPhone) is activated. My concern though is, is tracking possible if someone has destroyed by sim and has inserted new sim. Since iOS7 has Activation Lock integrated into FMI, wont it prevent new sim getting activating (to use new sim or reset settings, user have to sign in with apple id), hence rendering tracking the device useless.

If this is the case, then this new feature could be a big negative point in iOS7.

Jan 19, 2014 10:18 PM in response to iSivia

iSivia wrote:

Chris, won't it requires internet connection on iPhone in order to FMI work?

Yes but FMI can work with wifi or cellular connection.

Since pass code of iPhone plust Activation Lock won't allow new sim to work, how would tracing happen.

Thanks.

The cell network will work when you put in a SIM to activate the iPhonebut you cannot use the cell network for anything else.

iPhone 5S stolen with iOS 7.0.4, Find My iPhone activated. Any Tips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.