Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook won't run on AC power or charge battery, but WILL start/run with a good battery

I have an older white 1.8ghz Macbook from 2006 or '07.

It will...

* boot and run from any good battery.

* brighten the screen and indicate a power connection when AC is attached.

It will not...

* boot or run from AC only (I've tried multiple 60w and 85w chargers)

* charge the battery (I've tried several)

But....

* If the AC is connected and I do a battery-swap while the machine is asleep (NOT shutdown/hibernated), it will NOT croak the session! This implies it's getting a miniscule trickle of juice from the AC, just not enough to do anything other than maintain sleep mode. It will retain sleep session even if battery has slowly dwindled down to 0% while connected (I left the machine connected, but unused, for two weeks once, then swapped in a fresh battery, THEN removed the AC to see what would happen...and it "woke up").

Things I've done:

* launched from an external with a different OS (to verify that the OS was not responsible)

* replaced the Magsafe connector port & mini-circuitboard (to no effect).

* verfied the firmware is up-to-date.

The laptop is otherwise in excellent condition and has never been spilled on. The insides are clean.

...ideas?

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 3:08 AM

1 reply

Macbook won't run on AC power or charge battery, but WILL start/run with a good battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.