Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to authenticate a folder?

When I try to move a folder withing TimeCapsule, I get the following message:

Modifying "Michael's Airport Time Capsule" requires an administrator name and password. To move "folder name", click Authenticate.

The problem is, I am the administrator. Also, I don't see an Authenticate button appear anywhere.

What I am trying to do is move my music and videos to my TimeCapsule so that I can free space on my new MacBook Pro Retina.

Thank you for your help!

Michael

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 1:38 PM

This is entirely a Mavericks problem.

Somehow it is hiding the data folder and all folders under it.

There was a post recently about it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5766289?tstart=0

And people are hitting the same issue.

I have recommended to people to manually mount the TC as AFP but that might not be the only problem.

Please note that moving your stuff to the TC can be a really bad idea... not just for the idiosyncrasy of Mavericks but the TC is unsuited to it.

This is asked several times a day.. obviously people are struggling with their latest SSD being too small.

The TC is not suitable for network file server.. but many people having no choice press it into service as such.

It cannot be partitioned. It was and is and ever shall be a backup device for Time Machine.

Major issues.

1. No backup.. no way Time Machine can backup a network drive. No place to backup to.. So all your files will be at risk. And you will need to buy a third party like CCC to do backup.

2. The TC cannot be partitioned and mixing TM backups and data is not great.

3. The drive is slow to spin up and quick to spin down.. there are no controls.

4. iPhoto in particular can easily corrupt its entire library with wireless networking causing a disconnection to one photo. Even if you do this;;; do not move your photo library... you have been warned!!

5. iTunes will constantly lose connection to the library. The disk is too slow to respond.. itunes on the computer will constantly spit out errors. Even in the midst of streaming the TC can spin down the disk due to caching.

6. Do not use any live files on the TC no matter what else you do.. if you edit files in whatever program the file must be on the local hard disk.

7. The only suitable location for most libraries is a computer. You can plug in an external hard disk.

Read pondini for some work around's.

Q3 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2014 1:38 PM in response to mzea

This is entirely a Mavericks problem.

Somehow it is hiding the data folder and all folders under it.

There was a post recently about it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5766289?tstart=0

And people are hitting the same issue.

I have recommended to people to manually mount the TC as AFP but that might not be the only problem.

Please note that moving your stuff to the TC can be a really bad idea... not just for the idiosyncrasy of Mavericks but the TC is unsuited to it.

This is asked several times a day.. obviously people are struggling with their latest SSD being too small.

The TC is not suitable for network file server.. but many people having no choice press it into service as such.

It cannot be partitioned. It was and is and ever shall be a backup device for Time Machine.

Major issues.

1. No backup.. no way Time Machine can backup a network drive. No place to backup to.. So all your files will be at risk. And you will need to buy a third party like CCC to do backup.

2. The TC cannot be partitioned and mixing TM backups and data is not great.

3. The drive is slow to spin up and quick to spin down.. there are no controls.

4. iPhoto in particular can easily corrupt its entire library with wireless networking causing a disconnection to one photo. Even if you do this;;; do not move your photo library... you have been warned!!

5. iTunes will constantly lose connection to the library. The disk is too slow to respond.. itunes on the computer will constantly spit out errors. Even in the midst of streaming the TC can spin down the disk due to caching.

6. Do not use any live files on the TC no matter what else you do.. if you edit files in whatever program the file must be on the local hard disk.

7. The only suitable location for most libraries is a computer. You can plug in an external hard disk.

Read pondini for some work around's.

Q3 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

Jan 18, 2014 2:08 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for the information. You are correct. My problem is that I now have a smaller SSD drive and don't know what to do to keep my cricitcal files as well as my video and audio files.

I'm disappointed to have to make that decision to lose hard disk storage space, but that's sometimes the price one pays when upgrading. I had hoped they would offer a 1TB drive to launch this product with, which would have been in keeping with customer's expectations of being wowed.

Thank you again.

Apr 24, 2014 11:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

I am getting the same exact message when I try to use an alias to a network drive.

As the OP stated, I am admin, and there is no Authenticate button.

Here's the scenario.

Our files are stored out on a network server, in an ordered file system. I make an alias on my desktop to the folder I am working on, so I can get to the files in it easily. If I reboot the Mac, and then load up the drive itself, I can't drop anything onto the alias to a specific folder without getting this error. If I double-click the alias, the folder comes up fine, and from then on, I can drop things onto the alias with no problems … until I reboot.

This means that every single alias to a location other than my Mac has to be double-clicked once per boot, before it can actually be used.

I agree, this is a Mavericks problem, a very annoying one!

User uploaded file

Jun 24, 2016 8:40 AM in response to mzea

Hey mzea 🙂

not sure, but this may help you with ‘authenticating’ your Mac...

Sometimes, us regular folk are overwhelmed by the rest of those ‘computer pros’ [being kind] and what you say simply goes right over our heads? :/

So for those of you who are as ignorant about this device we are currently using as I am [no offense] Reiver555 has the simple, layman’s FIX for the problem of continuous “Authentication Required” pop up, which quite frankly, if not fixed will suck up 15% of the rest of your life !!!! 😟

So here we go:

1) Double click on your HD icon.

2) Go to ‘File’ - ‘Get info’ (your Macintosh HD box will pop up on the left top of your computer ^ < .

3) At the bottom, click on ‘Sharing & Permissions’ arrow > .

4) A little box should open and tell you that “you have READ ONLY permission.

5) At the very bottom right, you will see a locked padlock.

6) Click once on the lock to open it. When you do, that dreaded “Finder.app wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this” note will come up for hopefully the very LAST time ever! Whoooohoooo.....!!!

7) Enter the same password that you have been required to do for the past 27 years!!! lol

8) When you click “OK” bottom right, the lock will open and you are “IN”....

9) Once you are “IN”, dont be afraid!!! Smile... 🙂

10) Once the lock is open, you will see this ( + - * check sign ) at the bottom, now highlighted in black.

11) Click on the + and you will be given some choices.

12) Choose “administrators” - and then ‘select’.

13) You will be taken right back to the bottom, ‘read only, write only or read & write’?

14) For “administrators”, click on ‘Read & Write’. [for safety purposes, it may be best to leave all of your other choices as “read only” so no one else can mess with your HD?]

15) Once you have highlighted those permissions, re-click on your “padlock” which will lock, save and close your changes.

16) Your Sharing & Permissions tab should now say “you have custom access”?

17) Close your Mac HD info, try drag a dropping any doc you choose into your HD icon, and “viola”!!! You are now a MacHead and your life has improved by about 100% !!!

(Ok, maybe 15%, but still, doesn’t it feel good????) lol Remember, you can ALWAYS GO BACK and make changes here or reset it how it was, but in my experience, “If it ain’t broke......” Best of luck and Blessings on your computer journey.... 😉

How to authenticate a folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.