Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my airport express won't stay connected

problem: my airport express won't stay connected to the internet

layout:

I have two airport expresses running from a Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0® Cable Modem.

#1 is connected directly to the Cable Modem; #2 is about 20' away.

#1 pretty much stays connected when I have an internet signal, although sometimes when Aiport Utility says there is no Internet signal, turning WI-FI off and back on from my MacBook Pro makes the Internet connection come alive.

#2 is down 95% of the time. (In the same location, it used to connect just as much as #1--and did this for months, until a couple months ago.)

attempted fixes that don't work:

Unplugging and re-plugging the Cable Modem.

Unplugging and re-plugging #2.

Airport Express-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 8:20 AM

8 replies

Jan 18, 2014 10:53 AM in response to Rellimbor

There are a couple possible solutions to this problem: 1st check and see if the modem has a settings website or program and look around in there, many times it's that the modem has a setting set up that keeps the AE(airport express) from connecting. Each modem is different and it depends on who your internet provider is. (ATT is many times a web site)

Next: if you are using a Mac your best source for trouble shooting is the "airport utility app" (this is preinstalled on the computer) you can find it by searching in spotlight (top right corner or the mac(looks like a magnifying glass)) or by going into finder and going under utility's. Open the app and click on the devices that is giving you an issue all you problem solving will be done hear try reconnecting to the modem, it is also important to note that you are using bridge mode. So the AE is extending the network.

Please reply with other problems hope this helped.

------------------------------------------

Humans are inherent problem solvers

Jan 19, 2014 7:36 AM in response to Rellimbor

Under the network tab if you select off in the pull down menu it is considered bridge mode.

From what you have said you have both the 1st and 2nd AE set up correctly.

Do you have any caution lights blinking on the modem? If so type http://192.168.100.1. In to your web address bar and this should be the way you can access the modem settings. This is also where the bridge mode mite be for your modem but don't worry about it if you can identify that the modem is not the problem.

( modem instructions. http://www.arrisi.com/modems/datasheet/SB6121/SB6121_Installation_Guide.pdf)

For AE #1 can you connect and get internet on the new network you have created? If you can then the issue is not with the modem at all it is with the connection between one and two.

Next as for AE #2 make sure you are extending the right network. Also if you are not already have the newer AE creating the network and the older one extending it. This mite help.

Jan 19, 2014 9:38 AM in response to i have a?

NO IMPROVEMENT.

"Under the network tab if you select off in the pull down menu it is considered bridge mode."

Bridge Mode is already selected for #2. #1 is set up for DHCP and NAT. There are not settings available for the Modem.

Is that what you meant?

THE MODEM:

No caution lights.

http://192.168.100.1. does not work.

I don't think the modem is the problem. #1 works most of the time; #2 almost never works.

Your message about "as for AE #2 make sure you are extending the right network" is not clear. What exactly do you need to know?

Jan 19, 2014 7:21 PM in response to Rellimbor

Make sure you are extending the network you have created on the other AE.

For the newer AE: (creat the network on this one)

The internet tab should have DHCP selected in the pull down

The wireless tab should read "create a wireless network" in the pull down

In The network tab try selecting "off (bridge mode)" in the pull down.

As for the older AE:

The internet tab should have DHCP selected in the pull down

The wireless tab should read "extend a wireless network" in the pull down

And In The network tab you should not be able to select anything and it should read "off (bridge mode)" in the pull down.

Jul 11, 2014 4:44 PM in response to Rellimbor

Hi,

I've been struggling with this same problem for some time.

Outline of the issue (at least for me)...

Motorola Surfboard SB6121 Cable Modem using Time Warner Cable (now Comcast) connected to the second generation AirPort Express Wireless Router.

The AirPort kept blinking an amber light and was loosing the DNS server that was supposed to be assigned to it from the Cable Modem. I could use the AirPort even with the blinking amber light to access the internet then eventually the connection would get lost. Even the AirPort Utility couldn't find the AirPort. Reboot everything and get a green light for a second on the AirPort Express then the light turns to blinking amber again, and the whole process repeats.

I tried lots of stuff found here and other forums around the internet, and none of it worked.

Then, I lucked out and clicked a couple of settings, and it is rock solid and faster with a solid green light that is steady.

My best guess is the Apple Airport Express is technologically ahead of the Motorola Modem especially when it comes to IPv6.

If you look at the Configuration tab in the Modem at 192.168.100.1, it clearly states, "Modem's IP Mode" = "IPv4 only". This is what gave me the idea to check the AirPort Express as I knew it did the newer IPv6 and defaults to include that protocol automatically.

In AirPort Utility, Manual Setup, Internet, NAT, Configure Port Mappings..., IPv6, I changed the IPv6 Mode: to "Link-local only".

This fixed the issue and the light has been solid green and the connection solid ever since!

Hope someone finds this helpful.

======= EDIT =======>

I just wanted to add that I'm using AirPort Utility Version 5.6.1 on a PC, so my instructions apply to that version; I don't know how that would look on OS X Maverick's AirPort Utility. The theory would be the same just make IPv6 Link-local only or simply disable it as the Motorola Modem doesn't seem capable of handling IPv6 requests.

Nov 16, 2014 7:40 AM in response to Davestformore

Thank you so much. I had the exact same problem and it was driving me crazy. Your description was identical to my own. It's somewhat baffling that Apple would not be aware of this issue. I am just grateful for such an informed community that is willing to share knowledge. I was just headed to the Apple store to exchange the router, Thank you again @Davestformore!!!

my airport express won't stay connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.