Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't we use iTunes Store internationally?

My daughter is a high school student living with her mother in Japan. She has an account at the Japanese iTunes Store and of course has no credit card. I live in China with an American iTunes Store account and an American Visa card. My daughter has little money to buy iTunes cards and as a father I'd like to get her credit. But Apple has made any international purchasing totally impossible.

I cannot buy my daughter an iTunes Store gift card from the the Japanese iTunes Store because it will not accept the American billing address- the address HAS to be in Japan, and therefore a card issued by a Japanese bank. I have no problems at with this with any other vendor- Amazon, et al, only Apple.

My daughter could theoretically switch her account to the American iTunes Store, but then she could no access apps made for Japanese users (very few at any rate). I have the same problem: I cannot make a Chinese iTunes Store account for the software I need here. I can get some, but I miss out on heaps others.

How do I get my daughter Japanese iTunes Store credit with an American credit card? I saw some cards on Amazon.co.jp but I've already spent $25 on a card my daughter can't use (hopefully I can use it on my American account) and wary to buy one. Why does Amazon.co.jp sell iTunes Store cards 'marketplace' and why do they have cards for sale both in dollars and cards for sales in Japanese yen? If a Japanese person bought a card in dollars they'd find they're out of luck. Rip off! And why is there no warning (I suppose there is in the read me but come on, we need a better warning than that- no one reads 'read me's')? Is there an international gift card? I can't find one.

I wish the Apple Store would just behave like everyone else and go global with all its stores. What's up with country by country restrictions anyway? Apple products are ubiquitous world wide aren't they? So why isn't international software for peripherals accessible to all?

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 8:54 AM

10 replies

Jan 28, 2017 4:17 AM in response to bluetortilla

The responders are correct. There is no standard international copyright law, and media is licensed by each country by the music, film, and book publishing companies. As frustrated as I am with Apple's contracts with the publishing industries, I'm even more frustrated with JK Rowling's Pottermore Store. Jim Dale reads/performs the Harry Potter audio books for the US market, and Stephen Fry reads/performs the books for the UK market, and, since I live in the US, I can't buy the downloadable or CD versions of the Stephen Fry editions from the US or U.K. versions of Pottermore or Amazon. I will either need to move to the U.K. or find someone there who will buy the CDs and ship them to me. I haven't seen used copies for sale in the US, but there may be some out there.

Apr 17, 2017 12:21 AM in response to bluetortilla

You have to just deal with that system.

I also need to get apps from the Japanese iTunes store and I don't have a permanent address or card in that country. I found the best option to buy gift cards codes online (there are several safe and fast sites) with CC or PayPal, and redeem them with my Japanese account.
Other times, I just ask a friend living in japan to buy a gift card for me (and I pay him via PayPal), or to stock myself on gift cards when I travel to japan.

Jan 18, 2014 9:03 AM in response to bluetortilla

It's down to licensing. All content is licensed to Apple by the content providers (record companies, app developers etc) to sell on a country-by-country basis, so each country has to have its own store, and you need to be in a country (and have a billing address in that country on your iTunes account, and if using a credit card then that needs to have issued by a bank in that country) to be able to use its store.

There isn't an 'international gift card', all gift cards are country-specific, they can only be used in their country of issue.

Jan 18, 2014 9:16 AM in response to bluetortilla

To rehash material (as it is as relevant as ever):

In order to buy from another country's iTunes Music Store, you must have either:

a) a credit card with a billing address in that country, or

b) a mailing address in that country and a gift certificate or a prepaid card that was bought in that country.

If you cannot fulfill one of these two sets of conditions, you will not be able to purchase from any given country's iTMS.

Yes, but WHY? What is the point of this stupid restriction? For what reason? Please explain someone.

This, BTW, is due to restrictions placed on Apple by the record companies and other rights holders (who are often completely different from country to country and so all require their own individual negotiations and contracts), not by Apple's choice.

I don't believe that one bit. If Amazon can wheel and deal across nations (I have a US, Japan, and China account and use them all with the same card) then so can mighty Apple. You can buy copyrighted books and music (including mp3's from Amazon) so obviously for a company as huge as Apple it WAS their choice to negotiate in this restrictive way. This argument that Apple has no choice is bunk. It has more to do with regional control I guarantee. I thought we were trying to foster a more global society, not be cordoned off into zones.

So it still begs the question. Defenders of the no choice argument can insist all they want, but why can't I but my daughter in Japan a Japanese iTunes Store card? Why do I have to have an address in Japan to buy Japanese music when I can just go to Amazon and buy it from them? And I would do that for my daughter but she needs apps, and there is no other place to get them. If that's not monopolizing, I don't know what is.

Jan 18, 2014 10:47 AM in response to King_Penguin

It's down to licensing. All content is licensed to Apple by the content providers (record companies, app developers etc) to sell on a country-by-country basis, so each country has to have its own store, and you need to be in a country (and have a billing address in that country on your iTunes account, and if using a credit card then that needs to have issued by a bank in that country) to be able to use its store.

I'm struggling to think of any other vendor that imposes this sales on a nation by nation basis, and I can't think of a single company. Just about anything you can thing of is available internationally. So are we saying that Apple has been singled out as the only company forced to sign these restrictive license agreements? Again, I think Apple took the initiative in setting up its stores this way, though I won't speculate as to why.

By the way, what do people with iphones and ipads do in countries where is no iTunes Store?

I may sound like I like to rant, but I don't. I want to point out suspicious business practices and scrutinize them. If an individual feels they are unfair, they can vote their disapproval by using another company to meet their needs. I would not do that with Apple peripherals over this restriction, but neither do I accept the explanation that Apple was forced to do business this way, and when it comes to apps, it really ***** that they do because they are constricting the flow of knowledge and art in the world. Apple has tons of cash and super smart people behind it. Obviously the country by country model was one Apple chose. For problematic copyright issues on an individual basis, they could have easily made restricted selections unavailable. Apple also won't ship any hardware overseas through the Apple Store. Clearly, they like to keep a very tight control on their inventory and pricing. That also is not a complaint, but just an observation. Apple does everything this way.

As far as App-developers goes, you know as well as I do that the only they can port to iOS is buy going through the App Store, and that Apple takes a cut from every sale. Aside from jailbreaking (which can give you access to overpriced and unreliable apps), that is the ONLY way. So it not a case of App-developers protecting their programs but rather one of being forced to go through Apple to sell to iPhone, iPad, and iPod users. Clearly this is not the case with Mac OS, where you can download applications freely from anywhere, each having their own pricing system completly independent of Apple. But you cannot surf the net and download apps for your iPad- you have to go through the App Store or iTunes. Without a doubt that is in Apple's interest, not the developer's (although it does give better visibility for App makers and probably increases their sales- I've bought my share of fairly useless 1 buck apps).

I don't particularly mind this system either (in practice though but not in principle) but let's call a spade a spade.

Jan 18, 2014 12:06 PM in response to bluetortilla

It's set up like that due to requirements from the content providers, they want to control where their items are available. If an app developer is happy for their app to be available in all countries (and if a particular country's rules allow the app) then they will let Apple sell it there (and similarly for other types of content) - if an app isn't available in a country then it's either the developer's choice or the country's laws that are stopping it. If your daughter wants an app that isn't currently in the Japanese store then she can try leaving feedback : http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html - but unless the app's developer agrees to it then it can't happen.

If there isn't an iTunes store in a country then people there won't be able to download any content from the stores.

Why can't we use iTunes Store internationally?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.