Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading course material over wifi - still using cellular data to play

I click the cloud and download the audio files at home on wifi.

I listen to them in the car on the way to and from work.

When I play one I have already downloaded it had to buffer the file while downloading again over cellular.

I'm 10 days into a new month on my data plan and already used 1GB.

The audio is the ONLY thing I have used in the last 10 days.

Why isn't iTunes U playing my downloaded file?

Thanks.

iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 9:36 AM

2 replies

Apr 12, 2014 6:37 AM in response to Msaskins

I am having this exact same problem with iTunes U video. Had to disable cellular for iTunes U, but unfortunately it will then only play what's left in the buffer for that video and it will not play any more. Then a dialog will come up to tell you to turn on cellular. The videos show the "downloaded" icon but obviously they are not.

Did not notice this until the carrier started sending me data cap warnings. I have 2 weeks left on the present billing period and almost no data left for the commute.

How do you truly download ITunes U video? It would be a godsend for a long stop-and-go traffic commute.

ios 7.1

Apr 13, 2014 11:39 AM in response to gretchenfromma

Solved. Afraid I can't say which of these 2 things did the trick though:

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes U. It has a slightly different interface so I think it is a newer version. Don't remember when I initially installed it.

2. On my MacBook Pro, opened iTunes and went to the course in the iTunes U section of that. Downloaded a video. Connected the iPhone to the Mac and manually synched the video. Did a synch of the one on the Mac to the iPhone. In iTunes it then showed 4 videos on the iPhone, the 3 original and then a second copy of the one that was on the Mac. However, in iTunes U on the iPhone it only showed the one I had just synched using iTunes.

Got in the car and drove out of wifi range. Made sure that cellular was not enabled for iTunes U. Played the video. It played fine, with no prompts to turn on cellular.

Downloading course material over wifi - still using cellular data to play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.