Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files appear in trash when flash drive inserted

I have an 8 GB Cruzer Switch flash drive with about a dozen Xcel files on it. These are files that I have just on the flash drive rather than keeping them on my hard drive. I just noticed that when I insert the flash drive into my MacBook Pro four files will appear in Trash, two of which have names of files that are on the flash drive and two that have the name of one of those files with a time after it. When I eject the flash drive the files in Trash disappear. No other flash drive does this (same and different brands).

Does anyone have an idea what's happening here?

P.S. Each of those files have the same modified date, different times (aprox 10 minutes apart), and are the same size.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 9:43 AM

7 replies

Jan 18, 2014 10:27 AM in response to bpgf

bpgf,

this is purely a guess — perhaps the files with time suffixes are temporary copies of the files without the time suffixes, and perhaps these latter two files on the Cruzer Switch were viewed in Excel, had some sort of transformation done to them, but the transformation wasn’t saved, and Excel wasn’t gracefully exited?

To investigate further, you could create a new folder on the Cruzer Switch, move the four files from the Trash to the new folder, eject the Cruzer Switch, and then reïnsert it, to see if the four files somehow reäppear in the Trash, and if they disappear from or remain in the new folder.

Apr 27, 2014 12:19 PM in response to Melophage

Hi Melophage,

I'm having a similar problem. My pen drive is a Sandisk 8gb. Only today I noticed that when inserted it was displaying a folder in the Trash which wouldn't go away even when Emptying it.

I did what you said and moved it to the flash drive and now the Trash is succesfully empty. However I can't get rid of it by moving it to the Trash and emptying it again.

I have no idea what folder that is, it has a name that I recognize but I haven't created it recently, specially because my computer is new so I'm sure this file isn't here and it appears to be empty. I'll try to delete it in a Windows computer tomorrow and tell if this worked.

Have you any idea what could be happening? I only wonder because I'm no technology savvy...

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2014 12:58 PM in response to deboraesc

deboraesc,

again, this is just a guess, but perhaps there’s a hidden subfolder inside of this folder, which is preventing the folder from being deleted? When you’re at your Windows computer, try looking inside of the folder to see if there’s anything inside of it before you try to delete the folder; your findings, reported in your reply here, might help people with a similar situation who read this discussion in the future.

Apr 29, 2014 11:03 AM in response to Melophage

Hello Melophage,

So I plugged my pen drive in a Windows and yes, inside the folder there appeared an image file which the Mac wasn't showing (in a Mac it was appearing as an empty, but undeletable folder).

So I erased it from there and now the folder (and file) are gone.

Curious though, I believe this image file must have been erased almost a year ago. No idea why it reappeared.

Well, that was it. Thanks a lot!

Files appear in trash when flash drive inserted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.