Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot open some websites

I am trying to access my college website and it will not allow me in Safari or Firefox I can get into on my ipad but not my macbook? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 11:09 AM

12 replies

Jan 18, 2014 2:18 PM in response to Missbehaving_69

Missbehaving_69,

if you’re able to use your iPad in the hotel, then the fact that you’re in the hotel shouldn’t make a difference, though your MacBook might need a hint to point it in the right direction.

If you click on the wi-fi symbol in the menu bar on your MacBook, does it show you as being connected to the hotel’s wi-fi network? If not, perhaps you need to tell your MacBook about the hotel’s network by selecting “Join Other Network…” and giving it the hotel’s network information.

Jan 18, 2014 6:23 PM in response to Missbehaving_69

Missbehaving_69,

have you tried emptying Safari’s cache/clearing Firefox’s cache, then trying to connect to your college site again? (Unfortunately, the particular way to empty Safari’s cache/clear Firefox’s cache depends upon which version of Safari/Firefox is installed; it’ll be somewhere in each program’s Preferences, although not always easily found.)

Jan 18, 2014 7:14 PM in response to Missbehaving_69

Missbehaving_69,

didn’t you state that you could access your college site with your iPad?

To empty the cache in Safari 7.0.1, open its Preferences, select the Advanced tab, and check the “Show Develop menu in menu bar” checkbox. From the Develop menu in the menu bar, select Empty Caches. Exit Safari, then restart it, and see if you can now access your college site in Safari.

Jan 19, 2014 4:41 PM in response to Missbehaving_69

Missbehaving_69,

try this: in the Finder, press Command-Shift-U to bring up the Utilities menu. Run Terminal.app in there. In the Terminal window, enter the following command, ending with pressing the Return key:

nslookup

It will give a greater-than sign as a prompt. Enter the college site domain that you’re trying to reach, and press Return; it should return what it thinks its IP address is under “Non-authoritative answer.” At the next prompt, give it the IP address that it just gave you, to see if gives you back the site — to see if the “round-trip” relationship between site and IP address works. At the next prompt, enter “exit” to leave nslookup, and include the complete output from the run of nslookup in your reply.

Aug 4, 2015 10:24 AM in response to Missbehaving_69

I was having this same issue. I found this fix in another forum and it solved opening websites and a problem with Mail repeatedly losing the connection to Microsoft 365. "Configure IPv6 was set to Automatically. I hit the dropdown and noted that my only other option was Off. I threw caution to the wind and I chose OFF and guess what................... Eureka, problems solved" !!

You will find this by going to:

System Preferences

Network - Clicking Advanced

TCP/IP

cannot open some websites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.