Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks-Western Digital software issues - need advice

This is re: the problems (erased data) associated with Western Digital software and the Mavericks OS.

I use a Western Digital HD for Time Machine backups only and don't use the WD software at all. However, WD Smartware is installed in my applications.

I haven't yet upgraded to Mavericks because of the known conflicts. But it's high time I did upgrade to Mavericks.

So, questions:

Since I only use the WD hard drive for TM backups, do I even need the Smartware on my computer?

If I don't need the WD Application at all then is it safe to remove it?

Do I need an uninstaller or can I just drag it to the trash?

If I need an installer, where do I find it?

I know I sound like an idiot, but the older I get, the less I think I know about my computer - and conflicts like this just make me crazy.

So please offer succinct, simple to understand, clear advice and instructions. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 2:09 PM

You do not need Smartware.

Consult WD for directions on removing it.

4 replies

Mavericks-Western Digital software issues - need advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.