Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac or Mac Pro?

Hi,

I’m looking for a little advice and/or recommendations as to what would be the most worthwhile purchase.

Current IMac - Late 2009 11,1 27inch 2.8 i7 with 32GB of RAM, + Second 27" display. Soon to be upgraded with a 6970 (if i can find a sensibly priced option) or a 6770.

I use the machine for 'Work' which includes architectural drawing/modelling and graphical design. Software used daily includes, AutoCAD 2013, Sketchup, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lumen RT, Podium Walker and indigo renderer.

Basically, I’m curious as to whether i would see a 'noticeable' difference in performance from a new i7 27inch 3.5 Imac with 780m to a 3.7 4 core/3.5 6 core Pro with x2 D500 or D700s when rendering in indigo/Lumen/Podium? Obviously either are going to be far improved over my existing set up.

At max i would be looking to spend around £3500 and i do not intend to use the machine for any type of gaming.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated, I would be particularly interested to hear from of the Mac/Indigo users.

Thanks,

Steve

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.8 I7 - 32GB RAM

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 3:21 PM

1 reply

iMac or Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.