Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac PowerMac 4.2 (CPU g4 2.1) will not recognize comcast arris wbm760a modem or netgear N150 wnr1000v3 wireless router

Hi,

My friend has an imac PowerMac 4.2 that he purchased brand new when they first came out.

Recently, his Comcast Internet modem died. When he received the replacement modem from comcast, he explained that he had to replace his Linksys wireless G 2.4ghz because it doesn't work with the new modem .

He now has a Comcast modem arris wbm760a and a netgear WNR1000v3 router. The configuration works great with his Macbook Pro, iphone4 and my iphone5. However, we can't get his imac PowerMac to recognize the modem or the router.

I have connected the modem directly to the imac, but the imac still doesn't see it. I even tried connecting the router directly to the imac. but the imac did not recognize it either. No matter what we try, the imac doesn't see either device. We have tried the airport to no avail. I am beginning to think that his imac PowerMac may be too outdated to be compatible with the modem and/or the router.

I am not very well acquainted with apple products, so I am asking for help since I searched all day for an answer online and can't find one.

Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), airport

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 4:30 PM

You are out of luck, the PowerMac 4,2 is only 802.11b wireless compatible and USB 1.1 compatible. You have two options, either hook it directly through the LAN port via ethernet, or put on an 802.11g ethernet WiFi bridge to connect via ethernet to the PowerMac 4,2. USB 1.1 maxes at 15 Mbps, but has to share its speed with anything else connecting via USB, so it isn't an ideal path to put a USB WiFi connector.

Apple introduced 802.11g and USB 2 in 2003 at various times across its lineup.

802.11n came on its lineup in 2006.

WPA2 encryption which is highly recommended is only available on 802.11g and 802.11n.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2014 4:30 PM in response to gtjoyce

You are out of luck, the PowerMac 4,2 is only 802.11b wireless compatible and USB 1.1 compatible. You have two options, either hook it directly through the LAN port via ethernet, or put on an 802.11g ethernet WiFi bridge to connect via ethernet to the PowerMac 4,2. USB 1.1 maxes at 15 Mbps, but has to share its speed with anything else connecting via USB, so it isn't an ideal path to put a USB WiFi connector.

Apple introduced 802.11g and USB 2 in 2003 at various times across its lineup.

802.11n came on its lineup in 2006.

WPA2 encryption which is highly recommended is only available on 802.11g and 802.11n.

Jan 18, 2014 6:35 PM in response to a brody

Wow. Thanks for the rapid response and information!

At the risk of me sounding ignorant about connectivity (which I am, many times),

I have tried to connect the modem directly into the ethernet port, not using the router at all. Is this what you are suggesting when you are directing me to hook it directly through the LAN port via ethernet? If so, unfortunately I didn't have success with that method because the imac did not see the modem.

I will research bridging an 802.11g ethernet WiFi bridge to connect via ethernet.

Thank you for all of the information on when Apple introduced these things in their lineup.

Also, I thought since the router specs said it was 802.11b wireless compatible that it would work. Darn it!

Anyway, I really appreciate your time and effort to help me!

Jan 19, 2014 4:24 AM in response to a brody

A Brody,

I appreciate your help. If there was any way to change "This helped me" to "This solved my question" I would do so. Perhaps if you reply to this post, I will be able to click "This solved my question" and that would be a way for me to amend my rating since I am unable to edit rating in original post.

Thanks.

Jan 19, 2014 11:18 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

I'd add:

--define a new connection in your ethernet settings.

--make sure the new connection is first in the list of connections.

http://lapserv.maths.cam.ac.uk/docs/osx104.html

Ethernet Bridge Solutions

1. Ethernet Bridge
      "The versatile Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge can make any wired Ethernet-equipped device a part of your wireless network." from linksys. The supports both web browser based or program configuration. For the program, you need mac os x 10.5 or greater or windows xp to configure. Once configured, you can use it on any ethernet port.
      http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-RE1000-Wireless-N-Range-Extender/dp/B005FDXMJS/ref =sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314563758&sr=8-1
    2. Airport Express
      Airport Express is an external unit and you can configure it as a bridge. 802.11n ( You will need a more modern version of Mac OS X to configure. Sadly, Apple uses a configuration program to configure, not a web browser. ) Please note this requires mac os x 10.5??? or greater to configure or windows xp to configure. Please verify requirements before buying. Once configured, you can use it on any ethernet port.
      https://www.apple.com/airportexpress/
    3. Netgear WNCE2001
    4. Linksys WET610N are only two bridge examples.

imac PowerMac 4.2 (CPU g4 2.1) will not recognize comcast arris wbm760a modem or netgear N150 wnr1000v3 wireless router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.