Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How durable it the iPod touch 5 screen?

I'm always really afraid that I'll crack the screen if I drop my iPod touch 5. I see people with broken iPhone screens everyday, I'm and really afraid that one of these day I'm gonna end up with a shattered iPod. I know I should get a case, but it can't find any that aren't rubber. I HATE HATE HATE rubber cases. They always get stuck in my pocket and get gross lint all over them. What are some cases that are slim, plasticky, and are protective? The case I have now is a little too slim and it's basically only for decoration, because it wouldn't protect it at all in a drop. Plus it doesn't go over the edges so it causes the screen protector to peel. Do iPhone 5c cases fit on the iPod touch 5?

I also HATE screen protectors, they always get bubbles and dirt and dust under them and they just look awful. And the. They alway peel away in my pocket. How scratch resistant is the screen? How can I get my screen protector on PERFECT without bubble or peely edges? I know you can get them done at the apple store, but the nearest Apple store is 4 hours away from me. And apparently everyone in my town is too ghetto for apple stores idk.

So how durable IS the iPod exactly? Will keys in my pocket scratch it? Will this stupid buttons on the top of my jean pockets scratch it? Will dropping it Fromm approximately 5 feet onto a wood/tile floor crack the screen (case less)?

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 5:16 PM

2 replies

Jan 18, 2014 6:52 PM in response to EthanP.

5C cases will not fit. 5S will kinda fit, you may need to put a couple sheets of paper between your case and iPod to take up the couple of milimters of difference...and there's some conflict with your volume button.

As to a case, if you want impact protection you're gonna have to deal with some rubber.

As to the screen protector. I have the Zagg one. It's expensive but it sticks on and doesn't pop up, not like cheap ones do.

You slip any 'naked' device in your pocket it's gonna get scratched. Maybe not major scratches but little ones. You drop it, it's gonna get damaged...or it may not. For the kind of impact protection you're waning, you're gonna need a $50+ case.

I kept my iPod 4 in a screen protector and simple back cover, then I put it in a small camera case that I put in my purse....it wasn't horribly bulky but protected it quite well. Maybe something like that. Walmart had one that would just fit the iPod.

Jan 18, 2014 8:16 PM in response to EthanP.

Hello. Skydiver pretty much said it all! Don't know that I have anything more other than another voice in the dark. You really should get the case that is meant for your iPod. The phones look like the iPod but they are different dimensions and buttons are in different places. The screens are glass and glass breaks and scratches, etc. Unfortunately the cases that protect the glass as well as the body of the iPod will have rubber and add some bulk. As for falls and drops, any fall / drop may do damage if it hits the road so to speak the right wrong way, even with a case, but your odds of survival without damage are better with a case.

I have a Griffin Survivor it's day glow yellow and black, makes it easy to find. One of the benefits of the rubber, makes holding on to my iPod easier, and it keeps the iPod from slipping falling out of my pocket when I bend over. The seals on the ports have kept mine clear of stuff in the ports and kept the weather off my iPod. I know this is starting to sound like a commercial but I'm happy with my case. I have beat the snot out of it, dropped it on rocks, spilled tea on it, been caught in the rain and snow, gone dirt biking, rolled it down a flight of stairs in a backpack with a glass bottle of tea, (remember the tea), the bottle broke, tea on everything, ruined everything, but just wiped the iPod off and still going, and worst of all... left it in the hands of a 6 year old, so far, so good. Something to note some cases state they are waterproof and some say they are watertight, waterproof means spill something on it or get wind driven rain on it your most likely protected (the Survivor is waterproof) but drop it in the toilet and your all wet. Watertight can go in the water and should be OK as long as the seals work. Sorry it's so long, Hope this helps, Good luck.

How durable it the iPod touch 5 screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.