Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Mavericks & keeping iWork09 file association

I have ML/iWork 09 and I am installing Mavericks. What's the best way to keep files associated with iWork 09?

The apps are in the /Applications/iWork09 so hopefully Mavericks will not overwrite them. My plan is to either

1. After installing Mavericks, go to a pages file and enter the full path to iWork09/Pages.app plus "change all"

or

2. Rename iWork09/Pages.app -> iWork09/Pages09.app and repeat 1.

I had similar problems with iLife when upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion (if I remeber correctly). Turned out iPhoto09 and iPhoto11 easily coexisted but not the iMovies. I could never use iMovie09 again. That's because of some details (app sigantures of imovie apps were identical I think).

Back to the new iWork, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 5:43 PM

16 replies

Jan 18, 2014 6:11 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks for replying.

I just want to install Mavericks, I don't want the new (dumbed down) iWork, and don't want to cripple my files.

Why would't it work? It's the standard way to change file asociation, explicitly associate all pages file with the old Pages.app before I do anything. Then the new Pages.app will not open by default anything.

I was just wondering if it maks sense to rename the old Pages.app - >Pages09.app to avoid confusions. (But that can create other problems. )

Thanks again

Jan 18, 2014 6:25 PM in response to unixnerd09

Using Get Info to change all documents to open with Pages 4.3 doesn't work. It will work on individual files, but that could be a lot of files to reset.

This is what works for me. After I installed the new iWork updates I created a folder on an external drive & named it "other applications." I then moved the new iWork apps to this folder & renamed the applications Keynote 6, Pages 5 & Numbers 3. I have icons for two versions of Pages & Numbers (I rarely use Keynote) in my Dock. Even with two versions of Pages & Numbers running, double-clicking an existing file opens in Pages 4.3 or Numbers 2.3. This should also keep the Mac App Store from nagging you to update.

User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2014 9:04 AM in response to fruhulda

Thanks for advice, I will certainly not update. I experimented with Numbers (which I do not use or need) and it created a mess.

I have CD-iWork 09. Used to get updates through Software Update, but only in Lion. Apple orphaned CD-iWork 09 in ML. The App Store - iWork 09 was considerd to be a separate program in ML, and I did not buy it. The button in the App Store said "buy $20" or so. Thus there was no confusion which program was being updated, as there were no updates.

After installed Mavericks, there were NO Pages, Numbers, or Keynote in /Applications. Only the old ones in /Applications/iWork09. However, the 3 programs showed up in App Store updates, with an "update" button next to them, but not under "purchases". Also, I located them in the App Store, and the only option was "update", not "download".

So, unlike ML, Mavericks decided that AppStore-Numbers-3 is an update to CD-Numbers-2.3 and I am entitled to an update. So I updated it. But when I opened iWork09/Numbers.app, it was still 2.3. However, the modified date changed to the download time.

So far, no complaints. It's actually good that it did not overwrite the old app. Maybe it just touched iWork09/Numbers.app to get things in sync. Then I look again in the app store, and now it did say "download" next to Numbers. This put Numbers-3 in /Applications. Also, Numbers showed up in the App Store purchases.

So everything worked out fine? Not really. this is what I see in the App Store updates now. Keeps prompting me to update. Already did it once, it was happy for a while, only to come up with a new "update button".

User uploaded file

Installing Mavericks & keeping iWork09 file association

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.