Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone troubles and confusion

I am attempting to update my iPhone 4S operating system from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6 or later. I want to avoid the iOS 7 update altogether, henceforth why I have chosen to obtain an older iPhone product. I would like to download some apps and cannot do so without the a downloaded version of iOS 6 or later.

1. Is there some option to choose what specific operating system update I am able to download and if so how?
  2. When I plug my iPhone into a computer and connect with iTunes, will clicking the [Update] button automatically update my phone to the newest available operating system?
  3. If and when I do decide to update my iPhone's operating system will my stored data (ie: photos, videos, contacts, etc) be lost?
  4. Will I need to backup my iPhone's stored data when updating my operating system and if so how?
  5. What will happen when I select [Restore iPhone...]?

Thank you for helpful responses and answers to any or all of these questions!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 6:24 PM

1 reply

Jan 18, 2014 7:03 PM in response to ms.chanel

1. no unless you saved the update at the time.

2. yes, latest only.

3. no, it will just continue to work on latest iOS.

4. ALWAYS do that. No matter what you do, always do that. Power shortage, shock, fall, disconnect by a kid while something being done can all lead to problems with your data.

I backup daaily to iCloud. then I have 1 laptop, 1 PC and 1 iMac to backup weekly and monely on them. and I keep last 2 backups. I learned my lesson....

5. restore does exactly that. it starts to copy data from your backup to your phone. IThat data you should examine on apple support site under backup. its interesting to know whats there. Apps are not there, but only the links to them into the app store. so it takes less space....

iPhone troubles and confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.