Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app default email reader list

In anticipation of Google killing off the Google Notifier (for Mac & Windows) on Jan 31, 2014, I uninstalled it today and replaced it with another notifier app (Notifier for Gmail). Even though I used AppCleaner, the most touted uninstaller for Mac, one trace of Google Notifier remains and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. I'm sure it's buried somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere. If anyone has an idea where to look, I appreciate your help. Following is a screenshot of what I'm trying to get rid of on the Mail.app default email reader list.

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 7:06 PM

6 replies

Jan 18, 2014 7:27 PM in response to Csound1

Already posted in their forums...but don't expect much. BTW, AppCleaner may not eradicate every trace of an app all the time, but in all the real-life tests it's the best of its rivals. And CERTAINLY beats simply dragging an app from /Applications to the trash. It's a shame we don't have true uninstaller that can keep track of every file installed when an app is installed and then remove them when it's uninstalled.

Jan 19, 2014 5:58 AM in response to Csound1

95% of the time they take the easy road and tell people to simply drag the app into the trash. With normal apps having anywhere from 3-7 attached files, if one tries a lot of software, over time that leaves a lot of extraneous folders and files on their machines. Some of them will send you complete instructions if you ask, though.

Still hopeful someone here might know a way to fix this in Terminal, similar to how we get rid of duplicate entrie for "Open with" on the right-click context menu for an app. If the question gets answered in the Google product support forum I'll be sure to add it here.

Mail.app default email reader list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.