6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2014 5:58 AM by Larry McJunkin
Larry McJunkin Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

In anticipation of Google killing off the Google Notifier (for Mac & Windows) on Jan 31, 2014, I uninstalled it today and replaced it with another notifier app (Notifier for Gmail).  Even though I used AppCleaner, the most touted uninstaller for Mac, one trace of Google Notifier remains and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.  I'm sure it's buried somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere.  If anyone has an idea where to look, I appreciate your help.  Following is a screenshot of what I'm trying to get rid of on the Mail.app default email reader list.

Screen_Shot_2014-01-18_at_9_52_33_PM-18.jpg

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (40,340 points)

App Cleaner, like its rivals, fails to do what it claims to do fairly regularly. Consult Google regarding removal of Notifier files.

• Larry McJunkin Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

Already posted in their forums...but don't expect much.  BTW, AppCleaner may not eradicate every trace of an app all the time, but in all the real-life tests it's the best of its rivals.  And CERTAINLY beats simply dragging an app from /Applications to the trash.  It's a shame we don't have true uninstaller that can keep track of every file installed when an app is installed and then remove them when it's uninstalled. 

We'll disagree on that, any app that fails regularly is untrustworthy all the time. As it has proved to be this time.

It's good to disagree...I've found it helpful in my life.  However, as a retired geek and developer, I am curious as to what you use to uninstall an app that you've tried and decide to remove?  Surely you don't just drag it to the Trash.

Whatever the developers instructions say.

95% of the time they take the easy road and tell people to simply drag the app into the trash.  With normal apps having anywhere from 3-7 attached files, if one tries a lot of software, over time that leaves a lot of extraneous folders and files on their machines.  Some of them will send you complete instructions if you ask, though. 

Still hopeful someone here might know a way to fix this in Terminal, similar to how we get rid of duplicate entrie for "Open with" on the right-click context menu for an app.  If the question gets answered in the Google product support forum I'll be sure to add it here.