Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Regular Macbook Pro or Retina?

I would just like to ask for your opinion. I currently have a Mac mini mid 2012, the base model and I am planning to buy my first Macbook and I am having a difficult time choosing between the non-retina and the retina 13" macbook pro. I know the non retina version is an old model but I am worried that if I buy the retina version I cannot do anything to fix it just in case it gets damaged or broken since most if not all of the parts are soldered to the motherboard.

Here are the things I love and hate of the two models:

Non-retina
Pros:
1. Upgradable
2. Repairable
3. I really love the battery status button with light
4. Cheaper

Cons:
1. Heavier
2. Less battery life
3. Older chipset
4. Thicker
5. USB port placement

Retina
Pros:
1. Lovier display
2. Longer battery life
3. Thinner and lighter
4. More futureproof
5. HDMI

Cons:
1. More expensive
2. Non upgradable and repairable
3. Only 128gb (the only configuration i can afford)

By the way, I am from the Philippines and the price difference between the two is about $230, unlike in the US that is just $100. Also here in my place we do not have any Official Apple stores so when a Mac has problems we have a hard time in getting it repaired.

I guess my real question is, is the non-retina macbook pro still worth the money at this time, with all the new stuff that's out? And is the retina model really worth it?

I really hope you could help me out.

Thank you.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 1:29 AM

If you don't need the screen resolution of the retina display, nor any of the newer ports i.e: thunder port. Then the standard non-retina unit is still perfectly fine. Also the retina lacks built in ports the older ones have, requiring you to buy adapters, if gigabit ethernet or firewire is needed for example.

If you prefer to do your own upgrades or repairs; the standard unit would be easier to work with. Since repairs are difficult to arrange, the standard Macbook might be the better deal. There's no reason to spend the extra money purely for the retina display.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2014 1:29 AM in response to amielDH

If you don't need the screen resolution of the retina display, nor any of the newer ports i.e: thunder port. Then the standard non-retina unit is still perfectly fine. Also the retina lacks built in ports the older ones have, requiring you to buy adapters, if gigabit ethernet or firewire is needed for example.

If you prefer to do your own upgrades or repairs; the standard unit would be easier to work with. Since repairs are difficult to arrange, the standard Macbook might be the better deal. There's no reason to spend the extra money purely for the retina display.

Jan 19, 2014 3:07 AM in response to amielDH

Just my opinion, but...

I would, were I you, jump on the non-Retina model. I hate the fact that, one day, I'll be forced to buy a completely closed system. I've 16GB of RAM, a 960GB SSD, etc., that I installed myself: something that would be impossible with the Retina model (and, even on a Retina model, would cost thousands more than the $700-800 that I've invested.

So my advice would be to go with the last remaining non-retina machine available. Once it's gone, there will be nothing but Retina models remaining.

Good luck,

Clinton

Regular Macbook Pro or Retina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.