Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iPhone4S, is AppleID at risk?

My son's iPhone4S was stolen in Vietnam on 4 January. He locked it remotely using find my iphone then tried to wipe everything using iCloud. The status of that request is "pending" which I understand means the phone has not yet been connected to the internet? Will all data wipe the first time the phone connects to the internet? Should he also change his AppleID for extra security? Someone in Vietnam somehow got into his contacts stored on the phone, because I am suddenly getting calls and SMS from a random person in Vietnam asking me to contact the owner of the phone and ask him for the AppleID so they can use the phone! As if.

I am in Australia by the way. And my number was not stored as "Mum" on his contacts, I am wondering how could they know to contact me out of the 100s of contacts he had listed on the phone. If they have done this, is his AppleID at risk? He has changed all passwords to Facebook, bank account etc. This is my first question to the community thank you for any insight!

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 3:40 AM

2 replies

Jan 20, 2014 3:51 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Hi Winston, thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I agree with you - I guess I'm confused because they've managed to get into the phone and find my number?Even tho the phone is disabled? And had a passcode?

Or could they get my number from the SIM if they put the SIM in another phone? My son says that nothing is stored on SIMs but I'm not so sure.

Today I had 18+ calls (which I ignored) and multiple texts pleading for the Apple ID (ignored) and for my son's contact details (also ignored).

Is the phone just a useless piece of hardware to whoever bought it (or stole it)?

If the Apple ID can't be discovered somehow from breaking into the phone then I'm relieved.

(I'm still a bit freaked that they chose to call and text me. None of his friends or other family have had any calls or texts from Vietnam).

Stolen iPhone4S, is AppleID at risk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.