Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert MKV to AVI

Apologies if this question is already listed, I did have a look and the only reference I could find was archived and dated 2007.

I am looking for software which will convert an MKV file to AVI. Ideally, a shareware product would be more suitable than having to purchase a product as it is probably only a one-off project. Can anyone please recommend a good converter either shareware or inexpensive version. I am using a MacBookPro 10.9.1 with Mavericks

Many thanks in advance, Ted.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 4:14 AM

7 replies

Jan 19, 2014 5:32 AM in response to CitizenTed

Hi Ted, I would recommend Wondershare Video Converter. It's free and can be downloaded using the following hyperlink: http://www.wondershare.com/pro/free-video-converter.html

Its own blurb says:

It's an absolutely free and easy to use video converter (Windows 8 supported). It assists you to convert to tons of video & audio formats free and easy, making them compatible with all devices with great quality. Besides essential conversion ability, it also provides in-program editing functions like trimming, cropping, rotating, merging, adding subtitles and watermarks, etc. to enrich your digital enjoyment.

Ignore the Windows8 bit - there's a Mac version too. I've used it myself and have been very happy with the results. I can't guarantee it will do the conversion you want (because I haven't got any MKV files myself, but it's pretty versatile. Good luck.

Regards,

Fred

Feb 12, 2014 2:26 AM in response to CitizenTed

Are you thinking of graphical, or command-line converters?

On the command line, I have good success with FFmpeg.

http://www.ffmpeg.org

If you would like to use a video converter with GUI, AppGeeker converter can convert from MKV into AVI, and every other format imaginable.

http://www.appgeeker.com/topics/convert-mkv-to-avi-mac.html

Try them and show me how you goes.

May 26, 2014 1:00 AM in response to CitizenTed

I've been reading so many different forums on how to convert MKV to AVI. Finally, I summarised three solutions:

First one: HandBrake . This tool is a free and open-source multi-threaded transcoding app. It supports nearly any videos including WMV format and has Mac version and Windows version.

Cons:

1. HandBrake is too professional to handle for most people;

2. It doesn't support MOV as output format.

Second one: there are many third party software which supports converting MKV to AVI. I just test one of them. It's professional yet easy to use and the service is excellent. And there is a step by step guide about how to use this tool .

Cons:

1. Most of them are not free.

Third one: Online-Converter . This kind of converter does a great job on file conversion.

Cons:

1. Like most online converters, the free version of this tool only allows you to convert videos smaller than 100MB. It's too small for video conversion;

2.Your MKV video should be upload to the internet to be converted. This means the risk of pravite information leak is possible.

Convert MKV to AVI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.