Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac will not start after failing to install mavericks

Help, just tried to upgrade mavericks from snow leopard and I got a message saying hard drive is corrupt and now I can't get anywhere pass an error screen. It keeps flicking from a folder to an error sign. I have tried command r with no response. Lucky I ran time machine to an external hd before I tried upgrade.

What can I do to get my mac running again? I

Thanks

Ben

iMac

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 3:15 AM

2 replies

Jan 19, 2014 3:21 AM in response to eddie_e1

Are you able to boot into single user mode and run a disk check?

To use fsck, you must run it from the command line. Unlike using your mouse pointer to open an application to do something, you'll need to type a text command at the prompt (#) to tell fsck what to do. The Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities) and single-user mode are two examples of command-line interfaces in which you can type such commands. To use fsck:

1. Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line.
    Note: If necessary, perform a forced restart as described in the Emergency Troubleshooting Handbook that came with your computer. On desktop computers, you can do this by pressing the reset/interrupt button (if there is one) or holding down the power button for several seconds. On portable computers, simultaneously press the Command-Control-power keys. If your portable computer doesn't restart with this method, you may need to reset the Power Manager.
  2. At the command-line prompt type:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
  3. Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:
    ** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK
    If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).
  4. When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk ...

Scroll down to "Use fsck if necessary" section.

Mac will not start after failing to install mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.