Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad & iOS7 rotation issue

Hi all,

I have a issue on my iPad Mini Retina and I don't understand if it is a hardware issue or a software issue. Sometimes I see that the iPad doesn't rotate and, generally, when it happens, I see that there is an icon with a grey coloration as if it was hold (please, see to the Settings icon of the screenshot in attachment). In these cases, the only way to "re-active" the rotation is to press on the grey icon or on any other application. I suspect that the issue doesn't depend on the iPad type (I believe that the issue is also present on the iPad Air) and I believe it depends on a bug of iOS7 (7.0.4). Has anyone noticed the same problem on his iPad?

User uploaded file

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 4:14 AM

16 replies

Jan 21, 2014 2:53 PM in response to nefphoto

Hello nefphoto,

Thank you for providing so much detail about the issue you are experiencing with the orientation issue you are experiencing on your iPad.

The first thing I recommend is quitting and relaunching the applications on your iPad:

1. Double-click the Home button.
  2. Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.
  3. Swipe the app up to close it.

You can find the full article here:

iOS: Force an app to close
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

If you are still seeing the same issue after quitting and relaunching the apps, I recommend restarting your iPad and then resetting if it's still not working:

Restarting your device
  1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, and then slide the slider.
  2. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

Note: Reset your device only if you are unable to restart it.

Resetting your device

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

You can find the full article here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

If the issue persists, the last thing I recommend is backing up and restoring your iPad:

iOS: How to back up and restore your content

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Jan 21, 2014 3:06 PM in response to sheila_m.

Hi Sheila, Thaks for tour support. I have already tried to restart all the applications with this issue. I have also tried to reset the iPad and, finally, I have also tried to restore the iPad as a new device, but the issue is always present. So I think that it is a bug of the OS or an hardware bug. I'd like to be sure that it is not an hardware bug in order to avoid to have to change the iPad.

Jan 22, 2014 8:15 AM in response to nefphoto

I think you are right. I have had this problem since I updated but I think it comes prior to this last update. As you say, rotation gets stocked when any app crashes while in portrait mode. I haven't figured out if switching back and forward from landscape to portrait corrupts so,etching inside the app causing it to crash or is the app causing the rotation to fail.

The workaround is to close the crashed app and tap again to run it. Then lock and unlock the rotation and while unlocked use the iPad's accelerometer by turning it around to free rotation.

This worked for me. I hope works for you.

Jan 23, 2014 6:32 AM in response to Jx3me

Jx3me, thanks a lot for your information. I have the same issue on an iPad Mini 16GB with retina display. I don't know if there is the same issue on other models of iPads. For example, on the iPad Air I have often noticed some grey icons, but the rotation seems to work fine. In any case I hope the Apple will solve the issue with the next update.

Feb 2, 2014 11:07 PM in response to nefphoto

Hi. nefphoto.

i have the same issue on my iPad mini retina (7.0.4) too.

it's happend when i took 4 fingers to alternate apps or take 5 to close the apps.

sometimes it's bring the x buttom to uninstall apps. that's very surprised.

cuz i didn't want to delete it, and it's bring the app "Draking" bigger, like you try to mange position.

User uploaded file

i thinks it's very sensitive screen.....

so, i didn't have this issue with my iPad retina (3rd gen), it's pretty okay with iOS 7

i already tried all reset and restore (iOS 7 7.0.4) but, i didn't try on 7.0.3 yet.

i hope to find something to fix this, and yes, i don't know this is hardware or software situation.

i hope this is just, buggy...

Feb 25, 2014 3:36 PM in response to adjustic

I am also having the same problem. I bought my ipad about a month ago.

1. Sometimes the iPad stops rotating (I guess this happens when an app crashes). It happens to me at least 3 to 5 times a day.

2. Closing an app using the 4 swipe gesture, sometimes brings about the X symbol on all my icons. Although I tried pressing the X buttton on the icon and it doesn't really delete app.

The issue still exists after updating to 7.0.6.

I'm also using an retina iPad mini 64GB with cellular ME828PP/A

iPad & iOS7 rotation issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.