Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reformat hard drive

Hi,

I bought a Toshiba E.store Canvio external hard drive (3TB) and I have to reformat it for my Macbook pro (with Snow Leopard).
When I open the Utility Disk, I have to choose the format, but I don't know which format of the pop up window is better for my needs.

For example, which is the difference between the 'journaled' and the case - sensitive formats?

(I want to use it to back up my computer, or just to save pictures, videos or files made with the adobe suite).

Thanks

Alberto

MacBook Pro (17-inch 2.4 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 6:25 AM

Just format it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with a single GUID partition and you'll be fine.

Clinton

3 replies

Jan 19, 2014 9:37 AM in response to berth_

They're just different files formats - some Unix based, some Microsoft based.

No, you can't use Time Machine, for instance, on a drive that you would also use for your PC. If you want a format that both can read, format as ExFAT, but do it on the PC side. Using ExFAT both your Mac and your PC will be able to read and write files to the same drive without the use of third-party software.

But DON'T format as ExFAT if you're going to be using the drive as a Time Machine backup drive!

Clinton

Reformat hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.