Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best aspect ratio to export

I am attempting to export my 83 min. documentary to Without A Box.

They Reccommend a 480X360 aspect ratio yet my film is 16X9 and it looks squeezed and distorted at 4X3.

They indicate that a 16X9 film can be uploaded yet will be letterboxed.

So, does that mean that they will crop the sides? or the top?

If they crop the top and bottom it would cut heads off. I would rather cut the sides.
Is there a way to export a specific frame size so when they letterbox it, I can perserve the verticle height?

Or can FCP crop the sides so it exports in 4X3 with the verticle size in tact?

Also not sure how to keep the file size below 2GB. My 83 min. film is over 3 GB which they will not accpet.

THANKS!!

Lawrence

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), FCS 2

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 7:08 AM

6 replies

Jan 19, 2014 8:16 AM in response to LawrenceFerr01

Best way:

Export a selfcontained quicktime from within fcp. Bring this file into compressor, apply one of these presets

apple: other workflows: Web: Download: h.264 lan or h264 800kbps. For the best quality, you might want to enable frame controls in the frame controls panel and set the resizing filter to "best." Make sure that the output pixel dimensions are 854x480. Sometimes, depending on your source pixel dimensions, compressor will make it 853x480 which can cause problems.

You can also send to compressor from within fcp, but I prefer exporting a selfcontained qt which creates a file with all effects, titles, etc "baked" in which you can use as a source for dvd's or other compression formats.

If any of this is unclear, post back

And when they say letterboxed, they mean that they will place the 16x9 image in a 4x3 area with black bars on the top and bottom. NOTHING will be cropped.

Jan 19, 2014 1:57 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Thanks, I will give that a try tonight.

When they letterbox the 16X9 image, does that mean they will place a black bar on the top and bottom OVER my 16X9 image thereby effectively cropping out whatever visual image was there?

I have some interviews of people where the heads are at the very top of the frame. If they letterbox it, will the letterbox cover the tops of their heads?

Jan 20, 2014 6:23 AM in response to LawrenceFerr01

No Lawrence. When the 16x9 inage is placed in the 4x3 frame, it shrinks to fit the widest dimension fully within the frame. Since your clip is wider than taller it will fill left to right and leave space at the top and bottom. You will not lose anything. The process does not add any black bars, it's simply that there is no information in those areas.

Also good to get in the habit of leaving a little "safety" area when you shoot. Especially if you expect your programs to ever be projected. See if your camera can show you the image safe area in the viewfinder.

Best aspect ratio to export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.