Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I edit this Numbers spreadsheet?

I have a Numbers spreadsheet which I created on my Mac. My problem is that when I open it, it will not allow me to make any edits. I can see all the rows, columns, etc. including the content of each cell.... but I cannot select any of these cells.

All of the header items such as Function, Table, etc., are present but they are dimmed and I'm unable to select them.

I have other Numbers spreadsheets which allow me to edit just fine. My problem is with this one particular spreadsheet.

Is there some type of setting that I have unknowingly set whch has locked this particulare spreadsheet?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Numbers 3.0.1

Mac 10.9.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 1:52 PM

My friend is new to , created a ss in Numbers 3.53 then Quit. When

he went to reopen the doc Numbers demands a password even though

he didn't knowingly lock the doc or set one. Ironically, the ss was a

compilation of his accounts and passwords. He's really upset - is

there a way? And no, Keychain Access doesn't have it either.

Thanks, Tom

User uploaded file

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 1:52 PM in response to larrybobba

My friend is new to , created a ss in Numbers 3.53 then Quit. When

he went to reopen the doc Numbers demands a password even though

he didn't knowingly lock the doc or set one. Ironically, the ss was a

compilation of his accounts and passwords. He's really upset - is

there a way? And no, Keychain Access doesn't have it either.

Thanks, Tom

User uploaded file

Jul 25, 2017 11:02 PM in response to Thabo Da Husky

Hi Thabo,

Nothing to fix.

Print view is essentially what the name says—a way to view the document as it will appear when printed, plus an opportunity to edit those aspects of the document that are needed (and appear) only when you are printing the document or are preparing to print the document.

Once that is understood, the visual difference between 'working' view and Print view is easy to see—that strong blue background does stand out!

Before understanding what it is and how to exit, one of the most basic directions given to anyone starting out with a new application applies: Read the Screen. The Done button, in this case, is at the lower right—the most common location for an action button that will move you to the next step.

Now that you've seen Print View, and now that you've found out how to exit Print view, will it ever 'stump' you again?

Regards,

Barry

Jul 16, 2016 1:52 PM in response to larrybobba

I had this same problem with a Numbers spreadsheet I created on my iPad. When I went back in to the spreadsheet to make additional edits, I was unable to do so. The Mac solutions I read here were not really applicable but they did point me in the right direction. I discovered when exploring the FORMAT tab (after clicking on the paintbrush at upper right of screen) that "Pop-Up Menu" was selected. When I selected "Text" instead, the problem was fixed and I could now edit the cells.

Why can't I edit this Numbers spreadsheet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.