Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotspot Shield - deleting AjaxServer request

I recently downloaded hotspot shield (mistake) a vpn. Immediately uninstalled it, and found that on start up i kept getting a request to connect to 'AjaxServer'.

Contacting Anchor, the developer of Hotspot Shield didn't help, however, I was able to piece together through various threads on Apple support communities what did help me.

+ First, fully uninstall the app (either through Appzapper or AppCleaner).

+ Then you do have to do some manual removals of 'Hotspot Shield' and 'Anchor' releated files. Knowing all system set ups will vary, here is the key list of files to check

Home (Mac HD) /library/launchdaemons (here you'll find the 'anchor' files): This one was the hardest for me to find and last deletion which finally cleaned up the whole problem.

Home/library/application support

Home/library/preferencepanes

Users/ <name of your folder> /Library/preferences

library/preferencepanes

library/startup items

library/application support

library/launch Agents

Library/Receipts

+ Also a good idea to check 'Accounts' Log in 'System Preferences.' You will likely find HotSpot Shield set up here. Simply highlight and click '-' to remove

In 'System Preferences', take a look at "Network' under 'Proxies' to be sure you are no longer set up to connect via a proxy. If you happen to have 'Airport' and old 'Ethernet' set up in your system preferences/network, check for 'proxy' set ups there as well.

+ Finally, double check the browser you used to set up the hotspot shield. In the 'advanced' settings for 'network' you may find phantom proxy set up configuring how your browser connects to the internet.

This app really drove me crazy and i guess i learned my lesson. Hope some of these tips helps others.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2017 5:57 PM

Thank you for doing all the hard work. The deleting of the

~/library/launchdaemons/com.anchorfree.ajaxserver.plist file, after un-installing Hotspot was all I had to do to resolve the issue. Sure appreciate you taking the time to post this.

7 replies

Jan 30, 2016 1:45 PM in response to siobbahnnyc

The below steps worked for me:

1) Uninstall the app using AppCleaner.

2) Empty The Trash.

Note: You won't be able to empty the trash as you'll get an error message saying the ajax server file is in use.

Open the trash and delete the ajax server file manually by right clicking it and choose "Delete Immediately", it will prompt you for the username and password, enter the password and the file will be removed.

Hotspot Shield - deleting AjaxServer request

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.