Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackling sound being heard from recording.

So basically, I recently bought an M-Audio fast track (audio interface with phantom power) with an M-Audio Luna mic. Everytime I try record something with garageband it works completely fine for a minute or so but then after a while, it starts making crackling noise when i speak into it and eventually that turns into an echo with the horrible crackling sound. it can't be the mic because when i try it without software and listen directly from the audio interface console, i can hear myself completely fine. Please don't tell me its a grounding problem because it's definitely not and i have the equipment atleast 2-3 feet away, also this isn't white noise. Also, I try using the 'noise gate' option on garageband but i still get the crackling noise. The setting are already set for Fast Track as Output and Input so that can't be the problem. I'm not sure what the probem is. the USB port is a little old but I barely ever used it, kept it for 1-2 years wrapped up in a bag and the XLR cable for the mic is new. can someone help me out here. 😟 I just hope no one tells me its the mic and fast track interface because they were kinda expensive when i bought them.

iPad

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 8:33 AM

1 reply

Feb 19, 2017 6:29 AM in response to masuma123

I had this same problem a few weeks ago. I have an Presonus audio interface and am also relatively new to recording in general. My mic had been working just fine for over a year, and this week I had been recording a bit more than usual and it started to crackle in GarageBand. I also experienced the "it's fine for a minute and then crackles." From what I understand, (and it may be different for you) I destroyed my mic with bad practice. My audio box has a small button that you press to turn on the microphone (Phantom Power). And I always had that on, even when plugging and unplugging the microphone. The trick is, that wrecks your mic. So make sure that you are turning that off, wherever it is on your interface, when you plug it and take it out.

This means that when you record, the mic is not getting a good signal into the computer you are using, because you have broken something inside of it. The signals are not being transmitted correctly because it is an open channel and will run haywire into your mic if Phantom Power is already on when you plug it into the computer. That is the source of the popping/crackling, sound that is not getting through correctly.

My crackling sounded very unique-- like the classic campfire, followed by a quoet pulse that sounds like the GarageBand metronome but softer. I have not experienced the echo, but maybe you could be having the same problem that I did. Maybe not.

I hope you can figure it out!

Crackling sound being heard from recording.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.