Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Open with" choice doesn't stay with Pages or Keynote

Ever since downloading the latest Keynote and Pages (both of which are just horrendous), I can't get any existing Pages or Keynote documents to open in the older version. I go through the standard Open With: process by selecting an existing Page file, Getting Info (Command-I), and then choosing the older Pages (4.0) version in the options. I then his the Change All... button, say Yes. (like my screenshot)

All standard procedure that normally works like a charm. However, with this latest version of Keynote and Pages, it refuses to stick. The only way to get any existing docs to open in the older '09 versions is to right click on any of them and manually select it each time.

I get that one of the options I have would be to either delete these newer apps, or zip or otherwise hide them.

But I'm wondering if there's another more robust method of getting my Pages and Keynote files to always remember to open with the older version.

Any ideas? Thanks!

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 14 gigs of Ram, MBA

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 9:07 AM

3 replies

Jan 19, 2014 9:21 AM in response to braintoniq

Best would be to delete the new pages and Keynotes. Aple has for years forced the newer applications to take over. I have Pages 08 and 09 on my Snow Leopard partition and to get the 08 documents to open in Pages 08 I have pages 08 started first. still sometimes documents will open in Pages 09 and I have to be aware that I don't save in the wrong version

Doesn your Pages 4.0 work well on Mavericks? I think you need to udate to 4.3. Use this link Download

Jan 19, 2014 9:40 AM in response to fruhulda

oh my... I had no idea I was running an older verison of the '09 suite. I'm usually a bleeding-edge updater on everything. I may have deleted the '09 iWorks when I upgraded and somehow only redownloaded the 4.0 verison. Many thanks for the link! I'm downloading it now.

And for the record: 4.0 works great on Mavericks.

I figured the solution was to simply delete the newer version. I will do exactly that, and wait until Apple cooks it a bit more and brings back the needed '09 features.

Thanks for this.

"Open with" choice doesn't stay with Pages or Keynote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.