Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme password issue

Hi

I got an AirPort Extreme off eBay, I'm not sure which generation it is but it is coned shaped, the previous owners have password protected this is there a way to reset it without having the password?

Thanks for any advice

AirPort Extreme-OTHER

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 9:33 AM

6 replies

Jan 19, 2014 10:00 AM in response to Applecore 1985

Perform a "factory defaults reset" according to the following:

1. Disconnect the base station from its power source.
  2. Press and hold the reset button with a straightened paperclip, then plug the base station back in while continuing to hold the button for approximately 5 seconds until you see the three status lights glow.
  3. Release the button. The base station will factory default reset.
  4. Configure it using AirPort Utility.

Be advised that AirPort Extreme is very old, and will require an equally old version of AirPort Utility to configure it.

AirPort Utility for older AirPort base stations:

Leopard, Snow Leopard: AirPort Utility 5.5.3

Tiger: AirPort Utility 5.4.2

Panther: AirPort 4.2

Jaguar: AirPort 3.1.1

even older versions: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1998

Jan 19, 2014 11:49 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks that worked perfectly however now I have access to it I am having more problems, I set it up and it worked fine. I then plugged the USB cable for my printer to it and now can't see it when using the airport utility, started again with the printer plugged in during set up and same issue.

Eventually managed to get it to see the printer during set up but then my iPad air and IPhone 5s would see the printer. Am I missing something

Jan 19, 2014 12:08 PM in response to Applecore 1985

If you have a PC, you must have Bonjour Print Services for Windows v2.0.2 - Support - Apple installed on the computer. Run Bonjour to see if it can find the printer.

iPad and iPhone normally cannot "see" a printer connected to USB. They will normally only "see" an AirPrint compatible printer that is connected to the network using wireless.

I haven't tried it, but an App like PrintDirect on the App Store on iTunes might be worth a try as a workaround.

AirPort Extreme password issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.