Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder won't show my Library folder

If I want to save a template, specifying a .dotx extension, MS Word can find "My Templates" in my Library folder (Its location is specified in MS Word Preferences). But if I try to open a template in "My Templates", in MS Word, the Library folder is not shown. And Finder will not show the Library folder in a Finder window, although the Library folder is shown for all the other user accounts. It is as though the Library folder has been deleted. (It is not in the Trash folder.) But in Word, I am able to keep saving templates in "My Templates" in Library, and they are shown in Word the next time I want to save a template. The problem is I can't access the templates because Finder doesn't know where they are.

I used Disk Utility to correct the file permissions, but that didn't help. I used Terminal to check the permissions, and it showed Library with the same permissions as the other Folders under the User account; so I should be able to open the Library folder - only I can't "see" it.

So I have run out of ideas. Does anyone know how to correct this. It is probably very simple if one knows where to look.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 11:20 AM

Your user Library folder is hidden by default.

To see it:

1. hold down the option key
  2. Click on the Go menu in the Finder. Library should appear in the drop-down menu
4 replies

Jan 19, 2014 11:36 AM in response to Bob Bradley1

If you are running 10.9, you can make it permanently visible.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

You might need to redo the View settings after an update.

Jan 19, 2014 3:05 PM in response to Bob Bradley1

Thanks Arthur & Eric (and leonie). Indeed, if I hold down the option key and click on the Go menu, I can click on Library to open it. However, when I go up to my home directory, Library is not listed. When I open View Options, for the home folder, and select Show LIbrary Folder, that selection is made, but Library still doesn't show at the home directory level. I don't know what to make of that.

Also when I am in MS Word and try to open a template (which is in the Library), the Library folder is not shown as a selection; this window apparently is just a Finder window, and it behaves as a Finder window.

I finally found a solution. With the Library folder open, I can drag the folder name from the top of the window to the Sidebar and place the Library folder there. Then I can open it from the Sidebar. And it is also available to MS Word since MS Word "sees" the Sidebar. This may not be the only solution, but it works for me.

Thanks again for your input.

Finder won't show my Library folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.