Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Java????????

I have a dual core 1.8Ghz Power Mac G5 here running OS X 10.5.8 and I was wondering how I could get Java version 1.6. I want to play Minecraft and it tells me:

"No compatible version of Java 1.6+ is available."

Please help!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Dual 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G5

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 10:11 AM

4 replies

Jan 19, 2014 11:14 AM in response to GioB50

Hello,

Sad news is you cannot, you're stuck at...

java version "1.5.0_30"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_30-b03-389-9M3425)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_30-161, mixed mode, sharing)

Apple is painfully unclear here that Java 1.6 is only for Intel Macs, & then only 64 bit Intel Macs...

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_for_Mac_OS_X_10_5_Update_4

Jan 27, 2014 11:19 AM in response to BDAqua

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 10 delivers improved compatibility, security, and reliability by updating J2SE 5.0 to 1.5.0_30, and updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_26 for 64-bit capable Intel-based Macs.

Nowhere does it say that Java SE 1.6 is for anything but 64 bit Capable Intel Macs on the link I gave.

Never have Intel Macs been called PowerMacs. Thus unless someone is not familiar with the Apple processor history, it should be emminently clear.

We do have people who come on the forum believing G5s are Intel, but that is totally wrong. G5s are made by IBM, and were the last processor made by IBM as part of the Apple Intel Motorola alliance. And one should not confuse IBM made CPUs designed for Apple made computers for IBM PC compatible computers not made by Apple.

Apple shifted to Intel in 2006, and for each Intel they changed the name to some degree

iMac (IBM) G5 was changed for iMac Intel CoreDuo

Mac Mini (Motorola) G4 was changed to Mac Mini Intel CoreSolo

Powerbook (Motorola) G4 was changed to MacBook Pro Intel CoreDuo

iBook (Motorola) G4 was changed to MacBook Intel CoreSolo
PowerMac (IBM) G5 was changed to Mac Pro Intel Xeon

How do I get Java????????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.