Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Air over Old Macbook Pro 13" ?

Essentially I would be using it for the following:

• Word Processing (ms office suite)
  • Video editing (primarily YT videos) via FCP X
  • Music editing / production via Garageband, Logic Pro, and Melodyne
  • Adobe Photoshop CS6 (willing to live without retina)
  • Probably light gaming
  • Coding ( I don't think this should be an issue, but want the ability to write apps for iOS)
  • Web surfing obviously
  • Building itunes library (currently less than 10gb)

Budget is $1190 or less. I'm definitely getting at least 8gb of ram (16gb if older mbp and falls in budget or 4gb if that would be sufficient for what I'm planning to do) in either scenario. But not sure if I should go for 128 - 256 ssd gb or a higher capactiy hd that usually is found in mbp's. Is the 1.3 ghz processor in the MBA enough for all that? Should I be looking at retina MBP's? A bit lost / clueless.

Looking to purchase today so opinions are very much appreciated and needed asap. Which would work best for my needs? Looking at 13" models. SD card slot would be great, but not necessary since I currently have a PC that has an SD card slot as well as cd/dvd drive.

Mainly interested in new or seller refurbished. Not used unless less than month old or something. Most likely not getting apple care.

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 1:00 PM

17 replies

Jan 19, 2014 1:11 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Well I'm looking on ebay and amazon as well.

I'm quite aware of the base model mbp, what I'm asking is for what I am looking to do, could I get away with a MBA or an older MBP with upgrades?

Like I want to know what will work for me (specifications wise) like specs that won't be way out of my budget / over the top but be enough for me to do what I want to do smoothly. Then I'll know what to search for and see if I can find it in my price range.

Jan 19, 2014 1:27 PM in response to goldess

13" Air has a SD card, as for Final Cut Pro editing of simplex 1080P youtube videos, cutting and clipping is also "fine" on the Air. Depends on what you mean by "lite" gaming. The Air is not an idealized gaming platform, however will run Half Life2 no worries, but is not, as said a gaming platform.

As for any current Air or Pro, there are NO upgrades, RAM is permanent on the logic board and SSD upgrades is a wrong directed premise by those trying to turn their Macbooks into a mass storage platform which is a horrible idea ....

see here on same:

The working premise of your Solid State Drive and having enough space inside your Macbook

I dont trust but a few people on Ebay to sell a reliable machine without issues. The awful thing about very popular Macbooks is often theyre only sold off if very old or if they have an issue on online auctions etc.

To be certain if I only had $1200 (your case), the newest Pro with superfast 802AC wifi, cool running Haswell processor with long battery life and superslim form factor would be the choice hands down.

The current Pro (and Air) are a serious step up from older models in either Pro or Air, in terms of AC wifi, battery life, Haswell, and the Pro is so nice,...less slim like the Air but with significant improvements.

Otherwise, the case would be dirrecting that $1200 towards an Apple certified refurb Macbook with quad processor and independent graphics.

Base model current Pro would cover all your working needs indicated to be certain without doubt. The power-miser Haswell and 802ac wifi (very fast) alone makes that significant if you were to see the difference side by side with an older model.

Jan 19, 2014 1:39 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

hmm thanks for the insight on that! By lite gaming I mean maybe maple story (probably not) pokemon roms. Essentially web based mmorpgs. Overall I just wanted the option to game but I am not a gamer in the traditional sense of the word

I was looking at this from b&h:

13.3" Macbook Air

Product Highlights

• 1.3GHz Intel Core i5 Dual-Core (Haswell)
  • 8GB of Onboard 1600MHz LPDDR3 RAM
  • 128GB Flash Storage
  • Integrated Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy Display
  • 1440 x 900 Native Resolution
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
  • Dual USB 3.0 Ports, One Thunderbolt Port
  • 720p FaceTime HD Camera, SDXC Card Slot
  • Includes Mac OS X 10.9 or OS X 10.8

It's $1,199 (looking to see if I could have a student discount applied to this price). I'm just worried about the 128GB storage and the 1.3GHz dual-core, but like I said I have the external drive so I'm not sure. I'm currently using about 88GB out of 279GB on my current computer.

Jan 19, 2014 1:46 PM in response to goldess

Thats just a new Macbook Air 13" base model sold by BH. with 8gig of RAM

Get the $100 upgrade at purchase of the 8gig of RAM over the 4gig, to be certain, yes your choice is correct on the RAM.

Same Air I use currently.

Youll save sales tax buying from them of course, however I dont know what shipping costs would be from BH.

You shoudnt worry about SSD space, all large media needs to be (most of it at any rate) on an external HD, and you need same for backups / Time Machine .

Solid State Drive usage premise, or the “more space / upgrade SSD” question

There have been questions posed and positions taken by many people who are trying to use their Macbook Air or Pro’s solid state drive (SSD) as a mass media storage device, for either pictures, videos, massive music collections or all three combined; but this should not be the working premise of a ‘limited’ SSD and its use.

In which, it’s the case of those users with either 128GB, 256GB, or even 512GB of internal SSD space, that have or are running “out of space”, that questions are raised. The immediate premise of some users can sometimes be “(how to / if) upgrading my SSD” when in fact in nearly all instances another approach is the logical and sensible one that needs to be looked into and exercised.

Any Macbook containing a SSD should be idealized as a ‘working platform’ notebook containing all your applications, documents, and weekly or bi-weekly necessary files. All collections of media files such as pictures, music, and videos, unless directly needed should be kept off the notebook and on an external hard drive or likewise. While the ‘working platform’ premise is also the case with larger internal conventional hard drives of 1TB+, its implementation isn't as critical except in terms of data protection.

Realistically, you should at most coordinate roughly 20 to 25% of your total SSD space to all audio-video personal use media (picture / music / video collections), leaving the remaining amount on an external HD.

Nobody should consider any notebook a data storage device at any time under any circumstance, rather a data creation, sending, and manipulation device; and in the case of a SSD, this is more important for purposes of having sufficient working space on the SSD and reducing SSD ‘bloat’ in which cases someone is wrongly attempting to use the SSD space as a large media storage nexus.

The rare exception to the collective usage and premise of SSD use in which a much larger SSD is truly needed are for those in video and photography professions that require both the extremely fast speeds of the SSD and the onboard storage for large and or many video and photography files. However this also falls under the premise of a ‘working platform’ for such peoples rather than the intent of many who are using the SSD as passive and static data storage for media files very infrequently needed or accessed.

All on-notebook data collections should be logically approached as to necessity, and evaluated as to whether it is active or passive data that likely doesn’t need to be on the notebook, allocations of space-percentages to as-needed work and use, apportioning space for your entertainment media, and questioning whether it should it be on the notebook for more than short-term consumption.

Considerations should be made in the mind of any user in differentiating the necessary system data (System hub) comprising the Mac OSX, applications, necessary documents that both must and should be on your internal SSD, and that of the users personal data (Data hub) comprising created files, pictures, music, videos, PDF files, data created or being created and otherwise, that likely unless being used soon or often should be parked on an external hard drive for consumption, or temporarily loading onto the internal SSD.

You both can and should purchase whichever SSD size you need or see fit, but even in the case of the largest of SSD, unless use-considerations are made, and SSD spaces are allocated as should be the case indicated above, one can easily and immediately run into this quandary of “needing more internal SSD space”, in which instance a different approach in usage must then be implemented.

However it is almost always the case, that such large media files are wanted to be stored internally rather than actually needed, in which case the external HD is both prudent as well as necessary. Additionally costs per MB are infinitely less on an external HD than an internal SSD in any consideration of data expansion needs.

A Professional Example

In the case of a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro Retina with ‘limited’ storage on the SSD, this distinction becomes more important in that in an ever rapidly increasing file-size world, you keep vital large media files, pics, video, PDF collections, music off your SSD and archived on external storage, for sake of the necessary room for your system to have free space to operate, store future applications and general workspace.

➕You should also never be put in the position of considering “deleting things” on your Macbook SSD in order to ‘make space’. This is especially what your external HD is for.

Professionals who create and import very large amounts of data have almost no change in the available space on their notebooks internal SSD because they are constantly archiving data to arrays of external or networked HD.

Or in the case of the consumer this means you keep folders for large imported or created data and you ritually offload and archive this data for safekeeping, not only to safeguard the data in case your Macbook has a SSD crash, or gets stolen, but importantly in keeping the ‘breathing room’ open for your notebook to operate, expand, create files, add applications, for your APPS to create temp files, and for general operation.

Slim USB3 1TB external hard drive

User uploaded file

External Hard Drives

External hard drives are both extremely cheap and regardless of the size of your internal SSD (or even internal hard drive if the case), you need an external hard drive with your SSD equipped Macbook for several reasons:

1. Data backup and protection.

2. Redundancy for important data.

3. Necessitated ideal space for large media files for collections of pictures, videos, and music etc.

While ever changing in price, typical portable 2.5” external hard drives in USB3 run roughly $65 for 1TB or $120 for 2TB small portable USB3 hard drives. Such drives range in thickness between 5mm and 15mm, with recent improvements in storage of 500GB drives in 5mm profiles.

There is almost no premise in which a small 12mm thick 1 Terabyte USB hard drive cannot be taken along with any Macbook as an external large storage extension inside any Macbook carry case or pouch. Typically such external HD profiles are not much bigger than a deck of cards.

External hard drives are a foregone necessity for purchase with any Macbook for at the very least Time Machine backups, data redundancies, and ideally for large media storage.

Jan 19, 2014 1:56 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Thank you so much for posting that! I checked it out in the link you posted earlier but it was nice to just read it all here. So glad I have my 500GB external HD now haha (bought it with my dad years ago but he never used it).

Ok ok so basically what I'm thinking now is that 128gb ssd in theory should be fine if I keep all unneeded files / projects I do not need instant access to on my external HD. I know you stated ram cannot be upgraded once it's installed so while 4gb may be enough and will suit my needs, I should still opt for 8gb?

Lastly (sorry) lol looking at the apple site the base model of MBP isn't the retina model. Is there any advantage to retina or is it an unnecessary cost?

I've read nothing but good things about the Haswell processor so now I'm really feeling it's the way to go.

Jan 19, 2014 2:05 PM in response to goldess

I have a titanic pile of huge and heavy applications on my 128gig Air, with still 82gig remaining. Just an absurd number of applications, and 30gig of personal files.

Its not just the haswell, which it is, but also the 802ac wifi, and the Pro (current newest) has a form factor very close to that of the Air.

Yes, forget about the non-Retina Pro (however I have one and love it)......stretch out to $1300 for the base model Retina Pro, my error in the wrong link to same.

As for your external HD, youll regret if you dont purchase at least one more external HD, ...one is not enough. (see below)

Base model retina I meant to post, $100 more than your $1200.

13-inch: 2.4GHz
with Retina display

Specifications

• 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
  • 4GB 1600MHz memory
  • 128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
  • Intel Iris Graphics
  • Built-in battery (9 hours)2
  • $1,299.00

Air 13" is excellent choice....Or for $100 more, so is the base model Pro......either one would make me very happy.,..and certainly fulfill you indicated needs, ..however as for gaming and video edits, the Pro more so than the Air.

Why 1 external HD is bad

Always presume correctly that your data is priceless and takes a very long time to create and often is irreplaceable. Always presume accurately that hard drives are extremely cheap, and you have no excuse not to have multiple redundant copies of your data copied on hard drives and squirreled away several places, lockboxes, safes, fireboxes, offsite and otherwise.

Hard drives aren't prone to failure…hard drives are guaranteed to fail (the very same is true of SSD). Hard drives dont die when aged, hard drives die at any age, and peak in death when young and slowly increase in risk as they age.

Never practice at any time for any reason the false premise and unreal sense of security in thinking your data is safe on any single external hard drive. This is never the case and has proven to be the single most common horrible tragedy of data loss that exists.

Many 100s of millions of hours of lost work and data are lost each year due to this single common false security. This is an unnatural disaster that can avoid by making all data redundant and then redundant again. If you let a $60 additional redundant hard drive and 3 hours of copying stand between you and years of work, then you've made a fundamental mistake countless 1000s of people each year have come to regret.

Jan 19, 2014 2:38 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Ok well since I got my current hd for free, I don't really have an issue purchasing another so keeping an eye out for a decent one as well. 500 or less would probably be fine for me.

You've given me so much info I feel a bit overwhelmed haha but it's helpful. Only the 2013 models of both the pro and air have haswell processors correct? I was looking at refurb 2012 models but I do not think any of those have haswell.

Why do you say go for retina (just curious)?

I think the hardest time I have is looking at 4gb ram models instead of 8gb ram ( had so many others telling me 8gb is what I need but I've also heard mavericks optimizes ram well so I guess 4gb would be fine esp with my budget)

I really do apologize if all the questions are getting annoying haha

Jan 19, 2014 3:00 PM in response to goldess

Haswell only current Air and Pro yes.

I didnt say "go for the Retina", but you have to consider that:

1. The Pro is far better suited for Video and Gaming than the Air

2. For $100 more than the 8gig 13" Air over the $1300 pro youre getting Retina buttery smooth display and a better machine for Video and gaming.

see the difference:

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/features-retina/

As for the Air, dont even think for a second on 4gig over 8gig, for $100 the 8gig is the best single 'most certainly should do if you can' purchase.

4gig is fine for most everything to be sure, indeed my last Air with 2gig would impress most people without doubt on all it could do at once.

however that extra $100 on the 8gig over 4 improves resale value greatly and it cant be added later.

better too much info than too little,........as long as you make an informed choice based upon accurate info. 😊

Jan 20, 2014 4:57 PM in response to goldess

Theyd both run the same but in rare instances of serious RAM demands and bog down occurring from much loading / runnning at same time.

Ive got several Macs, ones running 4gig of RAM are running as fast as others of equal processor speeds running 16gig of RAM

youll only notice it pushing the envelope on heavy applications and multiple simultaneous apps running.

Jan 20, 2014 5:53 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Gotcha thanks. Sorry I've been looking on ebay trying to find a decent used mac with specifications that will work.

- Mid 2012 Model (Mac OS X 10.8.5 MacBookPro9,2 A1278 MD101LL/A)

- 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

- 8GB 1600MHz PC3 12800 RAM

- 1TB SATA Hard Disk Drive

- 8x Slot Loading Super Drive

- 512MB Intel HD Graphics 4000

- iSight, Mic, Airport Card, Bluetooth, Ethernet

- 2 USB, Firewire 800, Thunderbolt Port

- Infrared, Audio In, Audio Out, SD Card Slot

Wondering if that would be appropriate?

Actually only 250 cycles left on battery. I'm thinking that's no good? What would be a good number of remaining battery cycles for someone who will be using the computer daily and probably not shutting it down often.

Jan 20, 2014 5:57 PM in response to goldess

Cycle counts dont mean much, ...you can ignore that. Someone can have 50 cycles on a battery always on charge and abused and the battery ruined........so its "meaningless" as a mere number (except in normal use considerations and long term).

I wont comment on the used stuff online, having repaired laptops for years ages ago, I dont trust any used online equipment I cant inspect before purchase.

Jan 21, 2014 12:43 PM in response to goldess

How about an Apple refurbished current-model non-Retina MBP for $1,000 with 4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB disk with a standard Apple one-year warranty.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

For ~$110 upgrade it with a Seagate 1 TB hybrid SSHD that will provide SSD-like performance.

Start with the 4 GB and see of it is sufficient. If not upgrade to 8 GB for $96 (Crucial.com).

~$1,110 with 4 GB RAM.

~$1,210 with 8 GB RAM.

New Macbook Air over Old Macbook Pro 13" ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.