Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I wipe hard drive on a bricked MBA?

I recently spilled a hefty glass of water onto my 11-inch Macbook Air and took it to the Apple Store. They confirmed that the logic board was fried and that it would cost nearly the amount the machine cost to fix it. I don't want the machine to be a COMPLETE waste and was hoping to sell it for parts, however I'd want to wipe the hard drive of the machine prior to selling it. The machine obviously doesn't turn on, so I'm at a loss as to what to do. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 1:50 PM

Macbook repair people desperately want such parts on Ebay to be sure.

Dont worry about wiping the SSD, just remove it and sell your Air on ebay for repair people to use as parts.

go to IFIXIT.COM and see the video on removing your Air SSD. Very easy to do.

Since your Air is dead, wiping it conventionally is not, obviously, going to work.

Its time for autopsy, not surgery by means of keyboard entry for prompting SSD reformatting. 😊

Otherwise you could buy a Micro sata connector and wipe the SSD, however it MAY be dead regardless and you then wasted money.

Just remove the SSD and keep it. You can pay a computer repair place $20 to wipe it, which will also at that time verify if its DEAD or still viable for sale separately.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2014 1:50 PM in response to Timothy Gomez

Macbook repair people desperately want such parts on Ebay to be sure.

Dont worry about wiping the SSD, just remove it and sell your Air on ebay for repair people to use as parts.

go to IFIXIT.COM and see the video on removing your Air SSD. Very easy to do.

Since your Air is dead, wiping it conventionally is not, obviously, going to work.

Its time for autopsy, not surgery by means of keyboard entry for prompting SSD reformatting. 😊

Otherwise you could buy a Micro sata connector and wipe the SSD, however it MAY be dead regardless and you then wasted money.

Just remove the SSD and keep it. You can pay a computer repair place $20 to wipe it, which will also at that time verify if its DEAD or still viable for sale separately.

How do I wipe hard drive on a bricked MBA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.