Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can no longer scan with my MP800 Canon printer

I've seen lots of posts on this, and it is extremely frustrating that I'm starting to think it's just assumed that the owners of MP800 Canon printer/scanners will just toss out a perfectly good, little-used piece of hardware and buy something new. I've tried going to the HP site, loading the new drivers, etc. I've also tried changing from MP Navigator to Image Capture, but nothing happens when I open the Scanner, except for an empty screen that turns completely white when I click on Show Details.

I am REALLY disappointed in Apple OS update. In the PC world (which I bought a mac to get away from) I would just uninstall the entire printer, then re-install it and count on the correct drivers etc. to be loaded. I've tried to find a way to do this on the forums, but no luck. Is there any way to un-install the printer/scanner completely? And then re-install it to pick up the new drivers/software or whatever, that would work?

iMac (24-inch Early 2008)

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 4:05 PM

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers should resolve this issue. Please perform the following to remove the currently installed drivers: (If any items are not listed, move on to the next step.)

1. Open Finder

2. Open the 'Library' folder.

3. Open the 'Printers' folder.

4. Open the 'Canon' folder.

5. Send the 'BJ Printer' folder to the trash.

6. Return to the 'Library' folder.

7. Open the 'Receipts' folder.

8. Locate any items related to your printer and send them to the trash.
Leave the 'Canon Printer Drivers.pkg' file in the folder if it happens to be listed.

9. Return to the 'Library' folder.

10. Open 'Image Capture'.

11. Open the 'Twain Data Sources' folder.

12. Send any Canon files related to your printer to the trash.

13. Open the Applications folder.

14. Open the Canon Utilities folder.

15. Send the MP Navigator to the trash.

16. Restart your computer.

To get your MP800 Canon printer operating , please follow these steps:

Download the following drivers:

1. mcpd-mac-mp800-10_51_2-ea11.dmg
  2. msd_-mac-mp800-12_13_3-ej7.dmg
  3. mpnosx207ej7.dmg
  • Once the downloads are completed, open each installer package to begin setup.
  • Once this process is completed, try scanning and printing with your MP800 Canon printer.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2014 4:05 PM in response to Mango2005

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers should resolve this issue. Please perform the following to remove the currently installed drivers: (If any items are not listed, move on to the next step.)

1. Open Finder

2. Open the 'Library' folder.

3. Open the 'Printers' folder.

4. Open the 'Canon' folder.

5. Send the 'BJ Printer' folder to the trash.

6. Return to the 'Library' folder.

7. Open the 'Receipts' folder.

8. Locate any items related to your printer and send them to the trash.
Leave the 'Canon Printer Drivers.pkg' file in the folder if it happens to be listed.

9. Return to the 'Library' folder.

10. Open 'Image Capture'.

11. Open the 'Twain Data Sources' folder.

12. Send any Canon files related to your printer to the trash.

13. Open the Applications folder.

14. Open the Canon Utilities folder.

15. Send the MP Navigator to the trash.

16. Restart your computer.

To get your MP800 Canon printer operating , please follow these steps:

1. mcpd-mac-mp800-10_51_2-ea11.dmg
  2. msd_-mac-mp800-12_13_3-ej7.dmg
  3. mpnosx207ej7.dmg
  • Once the downloads are completed, open each installer package to begin setup.
  • Once this process is completed, try scanning and printing with your MP800 Canon printer.

Jan 19, 2014 9:49 PM in response to Dr.Mac.

Thanks for your help. However, I cannot find any "Library" folder in my Finder; I have searched under "All My Files", under folder entitled my user name, under folder "Applications, or under folder "Documents". There just is no folder that I can find entitled Library.

I have done no customising of the Finder at all, it is set up the way it defaulted.

I do have a folder entitled Canon Utilities, and one entitled PhotoStudio (which I assume is also affected, because I get the same error when I try to open it as I get when I try to open MP Navigator). Each of those obviously has a lot of subfolders and documents. How will I know exactly what to delete, and what, if anything, I need to keep?

Jan 19, 2014 11:37 PM in response to Mango2005

The Library folder referred to in the steps is the one located under the HD (aka root). An easy approach to open this folder is to open Finder and select Go > Go to Folder. Then type /Library and press the Go button. This will take you to the /Library folder.

Please note that you don't have to perform all the steps above if you are able to print and it is only scanning that you are having a problem with. From what you have written you may just need to install the scanner driver - the one starting with msd - because you mention being able to open MP Navigator.

Also, FYI, you won't be able to use Image Capture because there is no ICA driver for 10.8. So you will have to rely on using MP Navigator.

Apr 19, 2014 8:51 AM in response to Dr.Mac.

This worked! Thank you so much for posting the info here. I was nearly ready to toss out my MP800 (and to write many nasty letters to Canon, for refusing to update their drivers). Print and copy functions were still working, but I hadn't been able to scan since updating to Mountain Lion (or might have even been Lion). I'm running Mavericks now. Anyway, after the reinstall, everything works. Including the scanning functions. Thanks again.

Sep 30, 2014 12:41 AM in response to Dr.Mac.

Dear Dr. Mac,

I have the same question as Mango2005, I haven't been able to scan with my MP810 printer since I have my macbook (in 2008 I guess). Printing and copying works fine, but now I'm tired of using my old PC to scan documents.

I want to follow the steps from dr. Mac, but I have a few questions:

- PAHU said that I just need to install the scanner driver. But does this imply that I also only trash the scanner driver from the library? In my library I have two folders: BJPrinter and IJScanner. Do I only trash BJPrinter? Or only IJScanner? Or both? And what do I trash from the other folders?

- And can I install the same drivers because I have an MP810 instead of an MP800?

- Should I install the third driver?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards,

Gerdientje

Sep 30, 2014 3:59 AM in response to Gerdientje

Hi Gerdientje.

Follow the instructions that I have posted above.

To get your MP810 Canon printer operating , please follow these steps:

Once the downloads are completed, open each installer package to begin setup.

Once this process is completed, try scanning and printing with your MP810 Canon printer.

Oct 15, 2014 9:01 AM in response to Mango2005

After following your instructions, I still cannot get the scanner to work on an MP800 under Mavericks 10.9.5. The printer works fine. Do you have xcode installed? At a certain point in the printer driver installation it asks if I want to install xcode (sorry, I don't remember the name of the call it says requires this). I tried repairing permissions with no luck. This is for my 87-year-old mother-in-law, so I did not install xcode, but of course, will if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

When I try to run MP Navigator I get the following crash report:

Process: MP Navigator [276]

Path: /Applications/MP Navigator 2.0.app/Contents/Resources/MP Navigator.app/Contents/MacOS/MP Navigator

Identifier: jp.co.canon.bj.printer.app.module.MPN207

Version: Version 2.0.7 (2.0.7)

Build Info: MP Navigator 2.0-2~2

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: MP Navigator [276]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2014-10-15 08:36:51.283 -0700

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Report Version: 11

Anonymous UUID: D49EE7C2-6524-6F9F-F788-C9ECFFDCBD65

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[NSImageCell loadingState]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x5971580'

Oct 20, 2014 9:52 AM in response to dannam

Could not get Canon's MP Navigator to work, so I bought a copy of VueScan. It found the scanner immediately and works fine, so problem solved. I'm sorry Canon no longer supports MP Navigator on the MP800 because I've used it for years and am very familiar with the interface, but VueScan is a good product and I'm sure I will quickly get used to using it.

Jan 18, 2015 4:36 AM in response to Mango2005

Dear Dr Mac

I hope you will find a solution for my issue. I've been able to use my MP800R printer until now but I just upgraded from OS X 10.9 to OS X 10.10 today

and MP Navigator seems bugged on Yosemite: I can scan but cannot save any document (I used to be able to save as picture / pdf but after upgrading to Yosemite, all save buttons are gone !!)

Any idea how I could deal with that ?

I search an updated version (I have MP Navigator 2.1.3). It seems that a version 2.1.4 existed at some point but I can't find it anymore

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Jan 18, 2015 3:03 PM in response to I Swiched 2 Mac

Follow the instructions that I have posted.

To get your Canon printer operating , please follow these steps:

MP Navigator EX Ver. 2.1.4 (OS X 10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10)10/07/1429.86 MB

File Name: mnve_2_1-mac-all-2_1_4-ea8_2.dmg

MP Navigator EX 2.1 Opener (OS X 10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10)10/07/142.11 MB

File Name: mmno-mac-mpnv21-1_0_0a-en.dmg

Solution Menu Ver. 1.4.1a (OS X 10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10)10/07/142.17 MB

File Name: msm_-mac-1_4_1a-ea8_2.dmg

Once the downloads are completed, open each installer package to begin setup.

Jan 18, 2015 4:18 PM in response to I Swiched 2 Mac

I Swiched 2 Mac wrote:

I can scan but cannot save any document (I used to be able to save as picture / pdf but after upgrading to Yosemite, all save buttons are gone !!)

This is a known issue with older versions of MP Navigator on Yosemite. The workaround is to enable the Use Scanner Driver setting as shown below, and then click on Open Scanner Driver. You will now have the option to save your scanned document.

User uploaded file

Jan 20, 2015 2:52 PM in response to PAHU

Thanks for the advice. I saw indeed that I could scan with the scanner drivers (slightly different layout as the one you mentioned) but the resulting interface is not convenient at all for multi pages scan.

Looking for a user friendly solution to scan a few pages and create a pdf. the MP Navigator I had used to let me choose with pages I wanted to export in the pdf, change the order (in case of mistake), etc etc.

I'm missing it 🙂

Can no longer scan with my MP800 Canon printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.