Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clamshell Dark Blue 366 MHZ Fire Wire Ram Upgrade

There are no RAM inside the ibooks. โš  I must have more RAM. ๐Ÿ˜  And even if I didn't need it, I would add it anyways because I love to max out the RAM. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I need to know if the RAM needs to be SO DIMM or SD RAM ๐Ÿ˜• and if it needs to be PC 133 or PC 100. ๐Ÿ˜• And I need to know everything else also.

I have done research everywhere, and I am getting conflicting information. โ„น

Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

iBook, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 7:22 PM

9 replies

Jan 20, 2014 2:45 AM in response to In-Correct

In my experience, nearly all new 512MB SODIMM (sometimes named SDRAM) 144PIN 133MHZ (the are backward compatible to 100 MHZ) Modules will do the job, even if you buy them on Ebay from China for 12$

In the first years after the iBook was released, there were compatibility issues with several modules.

If you want to be 100% sure you can by a module from a shop who sells Apple products which garanties the compatibility with your iBook, and pay a few dollars more.

1. Be sure that you have the latest Firmware installed

2. Follow the instructions for memory installation

For "everything else" about your iBook, visit www.iBook-Clamshell.com

Jan 21, 2014 6:30 PM in response to bund

The chip I have, which I bought new, ... on ebay listing that said it is compatible from a seller that assured it would function.

However PC133 will not work at all. This is the very first attempt of upgrading the ram in a laptop EVER. Are the chips supposed to be that difficult to install? ๐Ÿ˜  or perhaps it is the wrong brand? ๐Ÿ˜•

I have done various PRAM resetting and taking the module out and putting it back in.

I also have Mac OS 9.2.2. The RAM is ignored completely with Virtual Memory turned on. When I turn Virtual Memory off and restart, Menu Bar is much more responsive. However, the About This Computer and Apple System Profile continue to not see the ram and I get "There is not enough memory." error messages.

Let my experience help other people in future. Because most of those RAM spec websites are WRONG.

(Also I am not sure why but the font text in my first sentence appears to be larger when I typed this.) ๐Ÿ˜•

Jan 21, 2014 10:30 PM in response to In-Correct

The RAM specs for the iBook 366MHz FW

Built-in Memory64 MB
Maximum Memory576 MB
Memory Slots1 - PC66 3.3V 144-pin SO-DIMM
Minimum Speed10 ns
Interleaving SupportNo

System specs

ProcessorPowerPC 750cxe v2.4 (G3)
Processor Speed366 or 466 MHz
Number of Cores1
Cache64 KB L1, 256 k on-chip (1:1) L2
System Bus66 MHz

Software

Original OSMac OS 9.0.4
Maximum OSMac OS X 10.4.11
Hardware TestAHT (iBook) 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.4
Bundled SoftwareMac OS 9, QuickTime, AppleWorks, iMovie 2, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Outlook Express, Netscape Communicator, Palm Desktop, FAXstf, Bugdom, Nanosaur, and Acrobat Reader software.

Firmware (lists a harder to get update to run OS X)

FirmwareOpen Firmware
Firmware UpdateiBook Firmware Update 4.1.7

Maybe this will help...

Good luck & happy computing! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jan 22, 2014 4:33 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks for the information. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have spent hours and hours researching and somebody on another website said that it is possible that it is not in far enough. I thought about it and

I knew the gold pins could not be visible for it to be able to function, but I hesitated because I thought using too much force would cause damage. :rolleyes: But this time I took the risk. It slid in. ๐Ÿ˜ It did not break. ๐Ÿ˜Ž It now works MUCH faster! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜

Unfortunately the faster menu bar responsiveness went away. Perhaps If I tried to turn off Virtual Memory again? ๐Ÿ˜• But at least I can browse the Internet on it now! ๐Ÿ™‚ As far as I am concerned, it is impossible to browse Classilla with 64MB. ๐Ÿ˜  But now there is 576 MB. + 990 MB Virtual Memory. Perhaps I will upgrade to PC66 eventually.

Jan 22, 2014 2:22 PM in response to In-Correct

There may be a compatibility if the pin count, voltage, and any buffers, etc between the newer PC100/133 and the older standard PC66; if you can get the original PC66 of the proper capacity, that'd be OK.

Somewhere I had a page link saved or maybe bookmarked in one of my several Mac browsers, that had information on compatibility of newer chips to replace older ones.

And some of these even with modern hardware can be flakey or damage the computer. Or work just long enough to confuse the user once they do start to fail. A cross-compatibility of 204-pin RAM that may work in both MacBook and iMac, over a year or two, can be a problem; in that one set runs hot and uses more power in the portable. But is OK in the iMac.

{The FW clamshell iBook G3 uses the same series upgrade RAM the first White iBook G3 does, or at least when I upgraded the chip in mine, it took a PC100/66 512MB, to max at 576MB total. Later I sold it to a really old guy, as his first computer. He wrote letters online and did email. I provided a few years support to help him learn about Macs. That sale included the box and all the original kit, plus later OS X upgrade discs.}

Anyway, it does help to seat the RAM fully yet carefully.

Removing RAM may also be a matter of light force, too.

Glad to hear you got some activity out of the exercise.

Good luck & happy computing! ๐Ÿ™‚

Clamshell Dark Blue 366 MHZ Fire Wire Ram Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.